54 Panhead Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerry
    Are you thinking this might be a frame you repaired? Or just a similar alteration?

P.S.
    Davenport is what got me interested in old bikes about 25 years ago! It’s a good time.

Thanks
    John

Comment

John I doubt it because I know where most of the frames I fixed went but years ago I did not know about die numbers and could have cared less. I was just interested in making good frames out of junk ones.

I was kind of making a joke but at the same time I was serious because I did mismatch frames and I know others that did too.

Jerry

Originally posted by sieber60 View Post
      Jerry
      Are you thinking this might be a frame you repaired? Or just a similar alteration?

P.S.
      Davenport is what got me interested in old bikes about 25 years ago! It’s a good time.

Thanks
      John

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        A friend has an original H-D Frame blueprint. It lists dates of frame changes. It says that after frame number 3,000 in 1954 they were all Straight Legs. Remember numbering started at 1,000 so that would be around 4,000 in serial number range.

Can you post that blueprint because I’m sure a lot of people would like to see it, especially those who own 54s. It could also be placed in the AMCA virtual library for future reference.
        Eric

Comment

Hello just out of curiosity what "straight legs" are you making reference to on the 54 and later frames? I ask because in my 46 years of HD love affair the only frame with straight legs I ever saw or was talked about was the last year of the rigid frame, 1957, 57 straight leg or 57 straight bar frame, no other Pan frame, just the 57. Curious mind wonders, am I about to learn something new?

Comment

Tom The frame with straight legs that you are referring to as a 1957 was actually used from late 1954 through 1957.

Jerry

Originally posted by TomL View Post
            Hello just out of curiosity what "straight legs" are you making reference to on the 54 and later frames? I ask because in my 46 years of HD love affair the only frame with straight legs I ever saw or was talked about was the last year of the rigid frame, 1957, 57 straight leg or 57 straight bar frame, no other Pan frame, just the 57. Curious mind wonders, am I about to learn something new?

Comment

Yes, pay attention
              36 to 47 knuckle came with straight leg frames
              48 to mid 54 pan came with wishbone frame.
              mid 54 to 57 pan came with straight leg frames

Comment

Ok teach, say can I smoke in your classroom? What, you don't like my attitude, leather jacket, too much pomade. BTW thanks 1950, seems there's a lot to be said for "if you let yourself, the learning won't stop til you drop"!

Comment

Tom, 1954 model S-L frames were made as early as April 54. And maybe earlier? Also used for 54 were two types of wishbone and Palmer described all three frames in his 37–64 SE but the changeover point from the second WB to the S-L is in dispute. Page 952 said the change to S-L happened at approx engine number 3501. But page 54 said per factory drawing 47000-40A the first 3500 1954 BTs have WB frames, meaning the change to S-L occurred around engine number 4500 due to engine numbers beginning at 1000.

There’s also a problem with page 54 referring to 47000-40A as a factory drawing because page 52 said 47000-40A was a frame PN, which it is. And this is confirmed on page 71 of my H-D catalog.

And regardless of whether Palmer meant the change occurred around engine number 3501 or 4500, it seems both are in direct conflict with a Harley blueprint which apparently says the change happened around engine serial number 4000.
                  Eric

Comment

Very informative info Speeding BT. I find it interesting that I can go look up guys who were HD guys in the late 60's all the 70's and 80's still HD diehards and most if asked about the Straight Leg frame will "swear by gawd" 57 was the only year straight leg as well as the last year for the Rigids. The numbers used for identification say for 54/55/56/57 there were at least 12,000 FL/FLH models produced. Where are they or where were they 40 years ago when guys my age were chopping any BT that they wanted and at that time the Holy Grail of frames was the 57 Straight Leg. Wishbone rigid frames were easy to come by and cheap, but rare were they with all brackets intact and un raked necks! Great info and thanks for posting for us old hard heads/hard butts who were ready to fight if someone disagreed about the 57's.

Comment

TomL; A friend of mine bought and chopped a 1955 Panhead FL in 1971. It is the bike on the right. It had it's original straight leg frame. Straight leg Panhead frames were widely available in St. Louis, as well as the bowleg Panhead frames. $75.00 bought either one.
                      image0.jpg

Craig

Comment

Craig, I surely remember seeing those Choppers just about anywhere in Michigan and I sold, used, traded back and forth to friends a completely stock 52 Pan wishbone frame. I think the most I ever sold it for was $100.00 in the years 74/75/76. Later man

Comment

Working...
                        X