No announcement yet.

1947 Knucklehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robbie; You are correct. The VIN picture is clear, except the VIN is fuzzy. And who took the grinder to the top of the timing plug boss? Or did that happen with a restamp job?
    Craig

Dave; The tank badges look to have proper patina and paint colors.
    Last edited by 41craig; 06-22-2020, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Quite interesting - this bike is listed on eBay now using the same pics. Last week it was listed at $48,000, now its $44,500. Its not even close to a correct 47 and is not anywhere close to worth what they are asking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Harley...wAAOSwO5lfWWQy

Comment

Hy Guys i hope you are well.
        I am start to restore my 47 knuck but i have a little problem..
        i have the necessity to buy or swap my knucklehead strayght leg frame (later 47) with a bull neck frame (early 47), because my engine numbers is very low and my actual frame is original, but not yearly correct.
        Do you know anyone who can trade?
        Thanks a lot Enry

Comment

Originally posted by eongaro75 View Post
          Hy Guys i hope you are well.
          I am start to restore my 47 knuck but i have a little problem..
          i have the necessity to buy or swap my knucklehead strayght leg frame (later 47) with a bull neck frame (early 47), because my engine numbers is very low and my actual frame is original, but not yearly correct.
          Do you know anyone who can trade?
          Thanks a lot Enry
          I have nothing to swap, Enry,..

But I must ask sincerely,

If your "actual frame is original", why are you compelled to replace it?

"Yearly correct" sounds artificial.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The numbers are NOT factory font. BEWARE!
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
              I agree and what's up with that exhaust port on the rear cylinder.
              AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                Originally posted by len dowe View Post
                I agree and what's up with that exhaust port on the rear cylinder.
                You're commenting on 2020, Folks!

Enry reopened this thread, hopeing for a frame trade.

Does anybody know the exact VINs when the frames changed?

If Enry's frame is indeed the machine's original, it would be a valuable clue.

...Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-19-2023, 12:29 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Hy Guys
                  Realy, the month production regarding my VIN Engine number is nowhere written .
                  But HD used to start producing October 1st 1946 the 47 model . They produced it until august 1st .
                  So when you know the number of bike produced this year , you divide by 6 days ( yes they worked 6 days a week back then ) and you can have a good evaluation of when your bike was build .

in may case my engine number is 47EL5908 and i suppose it was manufactured between January and February, so my frame must be a Bull Neck

How do you think ?

Comment

The frame is definitely a late '47 30 degree rake, and probably correct for the serial number. The front end does appear to be earlier inline, and possibly brazed, hard to tell. The rear fender is earlier, narrow brace.

Comment

Hy Guys
                      But HD used to start producing October 1st 1946 the 47 model . They produced it until august 1st .
                      So when you know the number of bike produced this year , you divide by 6 days ( yes they worked 6 days a week back then ) and you can have a good evaluation of when your bike was build .

in may case my engine number is 47EL5908 and i suppose it was manufactured between January and February, so my frame must be a Bull Neck

How do you think ?
                      To my knowledge no where is frame change documented by HD but observing the fossil record of OEM type 47 motorcycles I have always thought the change must have occurred near the 6000 serial number and I would bet that it was not a 'clean' change. Jerry

Comment

Hy Guys

How do you think ?
                        I think you are incorrect on your timeline. H-D did not start production in October, new models were on dealer floors in September with bikes built in August after their summer break. They also were not built in a steady stream, a big push was made to satisfy early dealer orders and have inventory on hand. As the year progressed they made Special order bikes as one offs as well as Fleet (police and commercial) in batches, both of which changed the timing on the production line. They also built batches of 45s, Servi-Cars, and late in the season the prototype 125s. Any attempt to place production numbers based on a regular timeline is wasted effort. #5908 was likely built well before the new year (1947) began.
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I must ask, since language may confuse us, Enry,..

Do you believe your frame is its 'original' ?

Or is there a reason to believe it was replaced?

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Hy Guys

How do you think ?

I can’t help regarding exactly when your bike was manufactured but the letter below agrees with you about production of 1947 models starting on October 1.

But before you try to figure out what frame you need, have you checked your serial number (SN) to see if it appears authentic? Is it consistent with factory stamping for a 47 Knuckle at that stage of numbering? For example at least two Es and at least two 0s were used for 47 and if your SN is authentic I’d expect the E and 0 to be the first types.

Is anything stamped on top of the cases near the rear mounting bolts? There may be nothing there but please check anyway. And did you check the belly numbers?
                            Eric

Comment

Thanks a lot Guys all your information are very important for me.

@Cotten yes i have the confirmation that my frame is original, from a AMCA judge this is a later 47, confirmed from Tapered Frame Die number.
                              these are my numbers:
                              Head XE-35 12 / Clip XE-6 5 / Clip XE-7 7 / Mount XE-621 6 / Mount XE-624 4 / Loop YE-761E and YE-762-E / Seat Post XE-1 4

Eric thanks for this document, which confirms what I had discovered, the serial engine number they look very nice, and same for the belly number, but for greater security, I am attaching photos to have confirmation from you experts.

some people say i should have a Bullneck frame other not..
                              I would like to bring the bike + original as possible, but I really need your help

Thanks to all
                              Enry
                              Attached Files

Comment

Eric thanks for this document, which confirms what I had discovered

You’re welcome.

Thanks for the photos. However I do not think the 6s in your belly numbers are consistent with factory stamping. Compare your 6s with these two 6s.

And although your belly number 4s appear to have an open top and a serif across the base, I’m not convinced they are the type used at the factory. Can you post a clearer photo of the belly numbers please.

And could you post a clearer photo of the serial number as well. Thanks.
                                Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X