Rear sidecar mount, mounting stud.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear sidecar mount, mounting stud.

Can someone please help me with the length of the rear mounting stud 87192-58 for a round swingarm, 1969 flh to be exact. I have 2 mounts with two different length bolts. Thank you!

PS I could not start a new post in the sidecar forum???

I don't have a bolt out of a round swingarm mount to measure, but have one out of a square swingarm mount. The shaft (not including the head) is 2 3/8" and the entire length including the head is 2 3/4". Hope this will help. I cannot remember if the round and square swingarm bolts are same length, I know they are same diameter.

Comment

Thank you Buster, One is longer than the other, but will let you know. Either one seems to fit while my washer is in. Going to mount the baby up this week then I will know for sure. I will get back with you. Thanks again.

Comment

Ryan, I have both mounts with the bolt installed. The 87192-58 is 2 11/16 overall length. The 87192-73 is 2 25/64 overall length. Do you have the correct mount? The mount for the round swingarm has an offset while the mount for the square swingarm is straight. They both use a bushing between the bolt and the mount. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ammorest View Post
          Ryan, I have both mounts with the bolt installed. The 87192-58 is 2 11/16 overall length. The 87192-73 is 2 25/64 overall length. Do you have the correct mount? The mount for the round swingarm has an offset while the mount for the square swingarm is straight. They both use a bushing between the bolt and the mount. Dave
          Dave,
          Yes, I have the correct mount for the round swingarm and thank you kindly for giving me the information.
          I also have a thick washer with my round swingarm, just to make sure I have this correctly, the washer fits between the mount and the swingarm, correct? I am going to mount the sidecar frame to bike in a day or so.
          The only thing I have to go by is the 79-84 sidecar shop manual. I know the back mount is different, but the setup should be the same. Thanks again!

Comment

Ryan, I looked at the manual you have and I don't think anything in there will help you as far as the mount. From what I can make out from looking at parts books the washer (6925HB) goes under the Castle nut (7947W). The mount goes directly against the swing arm. If this isn't right hopefully someone familiar with sidecars will correct it. Let us know how it works out.
            Dave

Comment

Dave, You are correct about the manual I have does not any rear mount info I need, the rear mount was changed.
              My parts books also show the washer against the nut, but I am pretty sure I read in a manual somewhere that it went between the mount and the swingarm. I will find put soon enough when I marry it to my bike.

Oh, the manual I was reading that placed the washer between the mount and frame was a manual that someone had put together, from copying pages from various Harley manuals, of sidecar mounting instructions from 1936-1984. I bought it off ebay for 7 or so dollars a few years back. I am not sure really.

Comment

Maybe this will help. IMG_3726.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jorrow View Post
                  Maybe this will help. [ATTACH=CONFIG]28922[/ATTACH]
                  Thank you Jorrow! I knew I saw that before.

Comment

Working...
                  X