Rear brake anchor repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake anchor repair

I have a '47 - actually a UL not a knuck - but the rear brake is much the same hence this post. The rear brake anchor /anti rotation tab / stud has become worn within the slot in the frame. The frame aperture itself is probably worn as well. Net result is that there is a distinctive click when I am moving the bike around the garage which emanates from the anchor moving in the frame.

Its a problem that is only going to get worse as the anchor hammers up and down in the frame

Replacing the backing plate would not necessarily resolve the issue especially if the frame is worn as well. My plan is to have a spot of weld put on the anchor and then grind it back until the anchor fits snug into the frame slot.

I am anticipating that I am not alone in having this issue and just wondered what others had done in the same situation?

Thanks

Martin

Originally posted by Martin Pettingell View Post
    I have a '47 - actually a UL not a knuck - but the rear brake is much the same hence this post. The rear brake anchor /anti rotation tab / stud has become worn within the slot in the frame. The frame aperture itself is probably worn as well. Net result is that there is a distinctive click when I am moving the bike around the garage which emanates from the anchor moving in the frame.

Its a problem that is only going to get worse as the anchor hammers up and down in the frame

Replacing the backing plate would not necessarily resolve the issue especially if the frame is worn as well. My plan is to have a spot of weld put on the anchor and then grind it back until the anchor fits snug into the frame slot.

I am anticipating that I am not alone in having this issue and just wondered what others had done in the same situation?

Thanks

Martin
    Martin I have welded many a backing plate and many an anchor slot and usually you have to do both. I always TIG weld and always remove excess metal with a file - never a grinder. It is slow tedious but when I am done you cannot see a repair.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks for those tips - all good to know

Comment

Working...
      X