Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead Turn Signal Switch

RE: Turn Signal Switch. Part # 70058-50B
    I can't get the switch to work unless I push down and fiddle with the switch lever and then I can occasionally make contact. I blamed it on the re-pop switch, got another one and it acted the same. My dealer had a dimmer switch # 71840-29 in an OEM bag. The package didn't look that old and the switch looked identical to and operated exactly like the two re-pops. The dealer filed the contact pin to create a detent that made it operate like a directional control switch. Looks just like the contact pins in the re-pops. I have good continuity from the terminal board to the contact block in the switch. I have had the switches apart, the spring feels good, I've tried to massage the retainer plate to increase pressure. Are there better switches available or is there something I haven't tried?
    Thanks,
    Sam

Check the OEM bag. A lot of Genuine H-D parts from the 1980's and up or Eagle Iron are made in Korea or Taiwan. Pretty much the same as V-Twin. There are so many old, used, OEM switches out there and are very rebuildable.
    Craig

Comment

The OEM switch is definitely a POS. I've tried Google and Ebay for an old original and have not seen anything. There are no swap meets currently. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Comment

DSCN5507.jpg

A lot of these old switches might suffer from the same ailment.

Tony

Comment

Not sure how you are searching but I just looked on eBay and found over a dozen....
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            Not sure how you are searching but I just looked on eBay and found over a dozen....
            I searched the part # and one after another repop appeared. I just tried "vintage Harley dimmer switch and some likely reusable switches are for sale. Thank you all for the replies.
            Sam

Comment

Colony makes a nice pin and spring for rebuilding switches.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colony-3280...edirect=mobile

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                Colony makes a nice pin and spring for rebuilding switches.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colony-3280...edirect=mobile
                Thanks for tip. I hope the one thats on the way won't need it.

Comment

I have a few old switches if you have any issues, I also have the correct wiring and terminals as well. I hope your new switch works for ya!

Comment

Thank you Ryan. I will follow up after I receive the new switch.

Comment

Works! Look at the difference between the pins. This is from an OEM part in an HD bag. Either its a counterfeit or a joke. The vintage dimmer switch also has a fiber back plate not with the POS. I filed the pin to make it work like 3 way directional control switch. Thanks for the replies. What would I do without this forum? I only have the one Panhead, I didn't work as Harley mechanic or serious restorer like many of the folks who graciously share their years of knowledge. Happy fathers day to all dads, both here and those we remember.
                      15927839365281.jpg15927838757130.jpg

Comment

Glad you got it working.

Comment

Working...
                        X