54FL Shifter Cam Shift Levers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54FL Shifter Cam Shift Levers

Before I install my trans in frame, I was reading in Bruce Palmer's Book on page 276 that shifter cam shift lever on 47-later big twins should point up when the cover is on. Mine points down as in a pre-47. I bought the bike from the 2nd owner(he bought in 1960 at police auction). I just want to be sure its correct before installing in frame. All casting numbers are as explained in his book.

'47 and later point down, not up. If yours points down it is correct. That is incorrect in the 1st volume.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank You Very Much, I thought I should check before I make an unneeded mistake.

James Roy AMCA #21124

Comment

Where possible it’s a good idea to look at more than one area of Palmer’s books because at times they contradict themselves. Although page 276 is wrong, the top caption on page 574 is right, as is the 1947 FYoF list on page 575. Also notice the 1946 LYoF list on page 571.

Quote: ‘All casting numbers are as explained in his book.’

Do you mean the lid has casting number 33 49 inside? (At least one other lid has this casting number but it’s outside. I don’t know when the change occurred.)

Just out of curiosity, what’s the date code under the case? Is it 3 3? Thanks.
        Eric

Comment

Working...
        X