49 - 57 Handlebar Riser Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 - 57 Handlebar Riser Repair

I've got 2 sets of 49 - 57 handlebar risers where the rubber bushings are loose (one set) and one set where the bushings are totally separated from the steel shell. Can these be safely repaired? if so, is there a procedure available for the repair that can be shared or if not is a repair service available from a vendor?

Steve Slaminko

Pretty straightforward but tedious. Push the old rubber out, the steel sleeve will likely remain in the riser. Be sure to keep the top cupped washers to re-use if not replacing them. Hacksaw or otherwise slice a slot in the steel sleeve remaining in the riser More than one is even better. Use a sharp thin chisel to collapse the outer shell and remove it, clean the bore of the riser. Push the new rubber in making sure to install the cupped washer first! Only push on the outer shell of the new rubber to install it. It will stop on a shoulder in the riser housing. Put the bottom cup on as well before bolting to the tree.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie,

I need to dig out the set where the rubber has completely separated from the riser. Based on your description I'm guessing the steel sleeve remains in the risers. As I remember what came out was rubber surrounded by the inner steel tube.

Thanks again,
      Steve

Comment

I drove out the rubber and made two slices with a variable speed reciprocating saw. The blade just fit, stick it in with blade fully extended till it stops, back off a touch and pull the trigger. Easy as pie.

Comment

Working...
        X