Fork bracket (triple tree) finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork bracket (triple tree) finish

My brackets are in really nice shape and are cadmium plated. I've recently learned that to be correct they should be painted black. I'm not trying to achieve a restoration and have my bike judged, however if I decided to paint them black is sandblasting sufficient to remove the cad so the paint can properly adhere or is some sort of chemical process needed? I know you purist would frown upon leaving them as is, but I'm actually considering leaving them alone.
    Attached Files

Blasting will remove the cad. You can also put them in Muriatic acid to remove. The Muriatic will take the cad off rather quickly and not harm the base metal if not left in too long. The parts will fizz and bubble when placed in the acid and the cad will be removed when the fizzing reaction stops, thereby letting you know the parts can be removed. The acid coated part is then neutralized by rinsing in tap water. I have used this method of cad removal on many parts getting them ready for Parkerizing. The Muriatic acid can be used again, just make sure you put in in a tightly closing container as the vapors are corrosive. The only problem with using the acid is that it creates cyanide gas which is toxic to living creatures. You would want to be outdoors using this process and upwind from the chemical reaction. After the fizzing stops the gas is no longer present.

Comment

Lrcormier!

Who told you paint won't stick?

....Cotten
      PS: Cad is toxic; It is best to leave it there.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten, an internet search revealed that painting over cad might be a problem. The cadmium on these parts appears to be in good condition with some possible dirt/grease staining on bottom bracket around where bearing would be mounted. So if cleaned really well painting could be a good option? I have a few parts that I plan on taking to a professional powder/paint place and ask if they paint these items, they will likely blast first anyway and use all the necessary PPE needed.
        Thanks for your input.
        Louis

Comment

Blast cad, Louis,.. and its airborne.

(The rest sits in the media, or on your PPE, for later.)

As rough as yours look, I really think a solvent wash and Rustoleum would do.

What have you got to lose? It might wear off under the tins?

...Cotten
          PS: The problem I have encountered over and over is removing stubborn paint from cad, and still saving the cad.
          When I can't.... I PAINT IT.

PPS: I hate paint.

PPPS: Quote: Painting, n.: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather, and exposing them to the critic. ... Ambrose Bierce
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-02-2020, 05:56 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
          X