Early pan rocker block locknut clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early pan rocker block locknut clearance

I have a 48 that had an o ring conversion done by a previous owner. I have the heads stripped to go back to plumbers intake. The all the rocker nut had lock washers except the 2 on each head that hold the intake oilers. These were very difficult to get a grip on, my question is, is there any harm in relieving the area around the nut slightly on the block so I can get a socket on it to torque it properly?20200601_065032.jpg20200601_065032.jpg

I wanted to add that the locknut I am having trouble with are the old style all metal type,I have a set of new colony replacements to put on. 20200601_065206.jpg

Comment

It probably would not hurt to relieve it a wee bit but I would for sure cut back the nut seat where it is galled. I know nothing about Colony nuts.

Jerry

Originally posted by 65flh View Post
      I wanted to add that the locknut I am having trouble with are the old style all metal type,I have a set of new colony replacements to put on. [ATTACH=CONFIG]28844[/ATTACH]

Comment

I'll do that thanks, I didn't think it would hurt anything but I didn't want to make an expensive mistake.

Comment

Just use a thin wall socket. They fit fine.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            Just use a thin wall socket. They fit fine.
            I tried my 1/4" 6pt, and my 3/8 6pt, I do have a set 3/8 12 points maybe they are thinner I'll try before I get the dremel out thanks

Comment

You could just turn down a socket a little bit and make your own thin wall socket.
              Jim D

Comment

I have done that a few times with Witworth sockets on British bikes. Some of them require thin wall sockets to get onto them.

Comment

That's a good idea, I have some craftsman I keep for spares. I wouldn't want to turn down any of my snap ons

Comment

I have a bunch of decent quality but not in complete sets of sockets and wrenches. I use them for making tools for special applications. Sometimes they are welded, machined, ground down or heated and bent.
                    Jim D

Comment

Snap-On made a nice thin wall socket. I've had one since the early '70s when they were needed to remove Sportster headbolts in early 1000cc models. When you work against flat rate you buy or make anything to help yourself.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                      X