Strobing headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strobing headlight

Ok, here's the facts. I have a 46 Chief with 6 volt electrical system. I recently sent my generator to Indian Frank for the 3 brush to 2 brush conversion including replacing the cutout with an electronic regulator. Also using the Shorai lithium 6 volt battery.
    Now the good part. I just installed a LED headlight, and it strobes when the engine is running. The higher the RPM, the faster the strobe effect.
    Any idea what's causing this? And what can I do about it?

Just at thought, have you checked your wiring connections and or the bulb fit in the socket. I had mine doing something similar and believe it was due to the jumper wire with alligator clips I had connecting the two ends of the broken wire not making a good connection while flopping in the breeze as I rode. You could also try a different bulb, like maybe a conventional, to see if there is any difference in performance.

Comment

I would try a lead acid battery just to see if the battery isn't accepting charge.

Comment

I would put a meter on socket + and ground and see if voltage is steady.If so you have the bulb and as mentioned its fit in the socket as the cause.
        Tom

Comment

I would check the brake, tail light if they are LED's are they strobing as well? If they are it could be a voltage fluctuation in the lighting circuit. That could be due to a faulty regulator, yes even a new one or maybe your ignition switch. If they are not strobing your problem is probably in the headlight circuit only. A weak spring in the bulb socket, worn contacts a poor ground etc. Checking with a meter is good advice however I think I would check the voltage with an analog meter and watch the needle I do not believe you will pick it up with a digital.

Comment

Be 100% CERTAIN you have full system voltage at the headlamp plug. Check voltage at battery and compare it to what you have at the headlamp. There will always be a small loss but too much causes issues. These lamps let you know when you have a circuit deficiency. A 1/2 volt loss over the ignition switch, wiring connections, will be enough to make these LED headlamps not fire consistently. See if the bulb you have lists a minimum voltage requirement in the specifications.

I am curious what is your charging voltage with the new arrangement from Indian Frank?

I have a Vintage Car LED sealed beam VC6V headlamp https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-in...headlight-kit/ and it will flicker slightly when the bike is idling on low beam but smooths out immediately with increase in rpm. Oddly enough the high beam does not flicker. My electronic regulator charges at around 7.1 volts which helps. I am running a 7 year old Shorai. I had to replace my ignition switch and cleanup the connections at the headlamp to improve the voltage to headlamp. It is so friggen bright I am willing to accept the minor flicker.
            Last edited by Skirted; 06-01-2020, 06:01 AM.
            Jason Zerbini
            Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
            Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into all the issues.
              As far as the generator setup by Indian Frank goes, the charging voltage is around d 7.1 volts. It seems to be working just fine, I'd recommend his work, FWIW.

I'll be back with an answer, when I have one.

Comment

Maybe if your nickname was IndianFred the bike would be behave better

Originally posted by PanheadFred1 View Post
                Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into all the issues.
                As far as the generator setup by Indian Frank goes, the charging voltage is around d 7.1 volts. It seems to be working just fine, I'd recommend his work, FWIW.

I'll be back with an answer, when I have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                  Maybe if your nickname was IndianFred the bike would be behave better
                  Hahahaha, yup, maybe

Comment

I have a tractor with LED lights. Last year they strobbed like yours does. This year the lights didn't work I replaced the light switch. Whala the lights no longer strobe. You may want to look into the switch.

Comment

Working...
                    X