original chain guard 47 chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• original chain guard 47 chief

trying to determine if a 47 chain guard had the area where the brake light switch mounts is stamped in or was a separate piece that was spot welded in ? thanks chris

The lower chain guard panel for the brake switch is separate from the main panel.If you look at a plunger chain guard you will see a line the length of the lower potion of the guard above the switch where the separate panel is spot welded.
    Tom

Comment

the one in this picture has a second piece spotted in repop?
      Attached Files

Comment

After looking at you pic I went back to look again. I think your guard is factory.
        My one very original 47 has a guard like your pic,same as my 51.My other 47 is also came with all its sheet metal, numbers match and in my hands since late seventies and is disassembled .Thats the one I looked at before my first reply.
        It has a stamped one piece lower section.I believe all three are original.
        Maybe they are not all the same from the factory.
        Tom

Comment

here is a picture of the other type, could they both be original ?
          Attached Files

Comment

I checked mw 51 Chief and the lower section is all one piece stamped out. It was a local bike and original with a earlier repaint over the original paint in the same color. All three previous owners are known with the owner before me having it since around 1980.
            Jim D

Comment

They started the stamped guard during the '48 model run.

Comment

thanks for the info, makes sense now

Comment

Working...
                X