Best EL pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best EL pistons?

Looking for input on the best EL pistons to use. Probably some junk ones out there so want to avoid those, looking for the best quality ones available. Hope you knuckleheads will respond!

Thanks!
    Gene

Gene Tough to beat OEM pistons. What bore size are you looking for.

Jerry

Originally posted by gharper View Post
    Looking for input on the best EL pistons to use. Probably some junk ones out there so want to avoid those, looking for the best quality ones available. Hope you knuckleheads will respond!

Thanks!
    Gene

Comment

Jerry,

Not sure yet.... I'm planning to fit them in my 24 Big X. Cylinders are getting a NikaSil coating now. A standard bore X, honed +.005" will fit just right with a +.020 EL or UL piston. UL would match stock compression, EL bumps it up about 10%.. You say OEM pistons, can you still get them from HD, or are you talking NOS stuff, if so, have a good source?

Comment

Question Gene, curious as to where your cylinders are being coated with NikaSil? I have some cylinders I would like to have coated as well. Thanks.

Comment

I'm using Millenium Technologies in Wisconsin

https://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=36

Call and talk with Rodney, he is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by gharper View Post

Thanks!
            Gene
            A couple of notes on EL pistons, Gene,..

As well as OEM, nearly all import offerings I encountered were high quality as well.
            One variety to be aware of, however, were some Dixie's that had no stiffening rib cast into them. Their instructions spec'd a huge four thou clearance, and I thought I knew better. I didn't.
            Nonetheless, they were pretty decent when properly fitted.

There are American manufacturers of course, but they are nearly always forged.
            You may not wish to increase your reciprocating mass.

(Axtell, I think, used to make thin-wall wristpins so you could raise a factor.)

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-25-2020, 02:54 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
            X