1960MY Standard Deluxe Buddy Seat/Skirt [PHOTO]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960MY Standard Deluxe Buddy Seat/Skirt [PHOTO]

Anyone have a photo of an original 1960MY standard Deluxe Buddy Seat where the skirt is fairly visible? Factory photo or non-factory photo. I have the photo below. Thank you.

Photo 1:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

To provide context (in case it improves the odds of a response), I'm trying to determine if the standard Deluxe Buddy Seat for the 1960MY also was changed to eliminate the back two (2) skirt rail holes. I don't have very many quality sample (factory or other) images to compare. The holes appear to have been eliminated in some images but not others. I understand that HD may sometimes have modified and/or failed to update images. I'm hoping that people may have factory photos or other photos of seats that could be original (or at least could have original skirts). Thank you.
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Comment

DSCN5405.jpg

1959 Panhead

Comment

DSCN5404.jpg

1959 Panhead

Comment

DSCN5406.jpg

1960 Panhead. I have other photo's of this bike not wrecked. I'm looking for them.

Comment

Great photos. Thank you for sharing. Hoping you find more!
            Fletcher Clark Johnston
            AMCA #282

Comment

Are they what your looking for?

Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by TRADEMARK View Post
                Are they what your looking for? Tony.
                I may not have asked for them in this thread, but I am looking for them. So, I do appreciate you taking the time to post them. In this thread, I referenced the 1960MY type standard Deluxe Buddy Seat (aka "Original" or Big Twin Buddy Seat). I'm trying to determine whether there is any difference between the 1959MY type and the 1960MY type. For example, in some images of the 1960MY type, the skirt appears to have four (4) total rail holes (just like the skirt of the 1959MY type). But, in other images of the 1960MY type, the skirt appears to have only two (2) total rail holes. I suspect that changes may have been made to the 1960MY type due to what appear to be conflicting images and also because of the changes that were made to the 1960MY type Super Soft Buddy Seat (aka Super Deluxe Buddy Seat).

The seat on the 1959 panhead in the photos that you posted looks like it could be a 1959MY type Super Soft Buddy Seat. As you can see (or at least imagine or assume), it's skirt has four (4) total rail holes. The seat on the 1960 panhead in the photo that you posted looks it could be a 1960MY type Super Soft Buddy Seat. As you can see (or at least imagine or assume), it's skirt has only two (2) total rail holes.

The photo of the 1960MY type Super Soft seat is interesting to me because there is some disagreement as to what Super Soft seat color options were offered for the 1960MY and whether and when the Super Soft seat color options changed. There is disagreement as to various features of the 1960MY to 1963MY type Super Soft seats. I'm looking for sample photos of seats for these model years to help resolve some of the questions and issues.
                Fletcher Clark Johnston
                AMCA #282

Comment

I'll keep looking. I'm sure I have some color pictures of the 1960 also. If I remember correctly, it has a red and white seat. On with the search!

Tony

Comment

I'll keep looking. I'm sure I have some color pictures of the 1960 also. If I remember correctly, it has a red and white seat. On with the search! Tony
                    Thank you Tony. I would really like to see the color pictures (even if it could mean that I am wrong about the 1960MY color options). As to the seat, I said that it looks like it could be a 1960MY type. I didn’t specify colors, but I assumed that the seat is black and white. If the seat is actually red and white, then I would assume that the seat is not a 1960MY type and that the caption (“Accident summer of 1960”) may be incorrect.

However, I realize that my opinion may be in the minority when it comes to color options. I am new to this and generally assume that, if I disagree with the majority, then I am probably wrong.

As to the color options for the 1960MY Super Soft buddy seat:

Field notes three (3) initial color options specified as: (a) B/W (black top and white sides); (b) R/W (red top and white sides); and (c) AW (all white).

Palmer notes two (2) initial color options specified as: (a) B/W (white top and black sides); and (b) R/W (red top and white sides).

I believe there were two (2) initial color options specified as: (a) B/W (black top and white sides); and (b) R/W (white top and red sides).

Field notes the same color options for 1960-1964. Palmer notes the addition of AW in late 1960.

I believe that AW was added in late 1960 and that R/W changed to red top and white sides in 1961 and was available generally for the 1962MY and possibly even some late 1961 models.
                    Fletcher Clark Johnston
                    AMCA #282

Comment

I got those pictures from the lady who's husband owned the 1960. She dated all her photo's. Old school way of photo albums. Her dad owned the Harley shop in our town. She is still alive and well. She could name motorcycle clubs (AMA) around our area that had been long forgotten. She's a blast to talk to. I'll look again tomorrow. Sorry if your proven wrong. Trying to be helpful, isn't always helpful.
                      Last edited by TRADEMARK; 05-25-2020, 07:40 PM. Reason: added comments

Comment

No apologies necessary. I have been hoping someone would respond. I'm trying to learn. I appreciate you taking the time to help. If I am wrong, I would like to know. I'm thankful when people are willing to take the time and share information.

I try to be responsible and research issues on my own. But, the books and forum threads contain a lot of conflicting and otherwise inconsistent information. Usually, if I spend enough time reading through enough stuff and looking at as many pictures as I can find, I can figure out which books and threads are right and wrong. But, the answers are not always clear. Sometimes, the issues have been researched and studied it boils down to a genuine difference of opinion over conflicting evidence and what may have been more likely. But, not always.

This forum is an incredible resource because of people like you who have knowledge and experience and information and are willing to share it. If enough quality information gets out there and there is less controversy, then you guys may not have to deal with as many dumb questions from newbies like me. Thanks again for your time and help.
                        Fletcher Clark Johnston
                        AMCA #282

Comment

Poor way to post a photo. Have yet to find these. Same 1960 Panhead with red and white seat. DSCN5465.jpg

Tony

Comment

Poor way to post a photo. Have yet to find these. Same 1960 Panhead with red and white seat. Tony
                            Thank you for sharing. No apologies necessary. I appreciate your time and help. Some photo is better than no photo. I apologize for delayed response. Haven't been on for awhile, but have done some more research.

It looks like you remembered the color scheme correctly (i.e., red top cover and white gussets). But, that appears to be a later style Super Soft Buddy Seat.

I believe that the red and white version of the 1960 style Super Soft Buddy Seat had a white top cover and red gussets.

I don’t know how to explain the “Accident summer of 1960” photo caption. Maybe the date is a reference to the accident and not the time the photo was taken? Is it possible that the bike was ridden (and the photo was taken) after an accident that happened in 1960? Maybe the photos were taken after 1960 and she was just referring to some of the damage and the accident? I don’t know.

Thanks again. Hope you are able to find the other photos.
                            Fletcher Clark Johnston
                            AMCA #282

Comment

Working...
                            X