• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by exeric View Post
    I can: R-0-B-B-I-E.
    That's pretty good even for you!!
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Mr. Knight - I said I was sorry for my mistake of using KH to refer to Knucklehead to Mr. Hardy.

Sorry I offended you as well. You are correct Sir - my background is in racing mx / cross county / enduro - just bought my first KH (Knucklehead). I thought this forum would be a good place too get some answers.

AMCA #2736 - The righteous Key board warrior - keep up the good work Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by rusb27826 View Post
        Mr. Knight - I said I was sorry for my mistake of using KH to refer to Knucklehead to Mr. Hardy.

Sorry I offended you as well. You are correct Sir - my background is in racing mx / cross county / enduro - just bought my first KH (Knucklehead). I thought this forum would be a good place too get some answers.

AMCA #2736 - The righteous Key board warrior - keep up the good work Sir.
        You certainly didn't offend me, I knew exactly what you were referring to. But it created confusion because H-D built a KH model so I was merely being my normal smartass self. I regularly offend plenty of folks who are wound too tight and full of their own self importance. No worries. And good luck on your 18s, they handle so much better than 16s on a Knuckle...
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          You certainly didn't offend me, I knew exactly what you were referring to. But it created confusion because H-D built a KH model so I was merely being my normal smartass self. I regularly offend plenty of folks who are wound too tight and full of their own self importance. No worries. And good luck on your 18s, they handle so much better than 16s on a Knuckle...
          You will get used to Robbie. He is a WEALTH of info. Eric also has amazing fabrication skills. Don't let their sense of humor offend you. Wait till I start in. LOL Oh, and 18s handle great on my 440.
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Alright! We all love each other again. . . . I think I'm tearing up.

I always apologize when I've been an ass. Apparently I don't have total control of what I say because sometimes I'll think something, and next thing I know, my ears are hearing me say it. Probably why I've been in so many fights But I will apologize to the forum.

Regarding 18" wheels; I think they handle much better than 16s, and I think they make a motorcycle look better as well. For a regular rider, I have heard very good things about Avon tires. For looks, the Coker diamond tread is hard to beat, and I always thought they handled well, although they do wear quickly.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I feel like my comment on my preference for the Firestone ATS was sort of dismissed but I run a 19" ( outside diameter close to 21") remember choppers? on front and 18" (outside diameter close to 16"). They have old style tread, like rain grooves, and wear like iron. These are on my 1940 EL bobjob. My son has the same combo on his 1949 WL bobjob. More flex in the spokes and one of the reasons the 1940 BT frames need the bump to rake the neck as the 16's caused problems with their heavy foot. Just sayin'.
              DrSprocket

Comment

Well as the guy who seems to have started this whole mess I apologize! Like I said I'm not hip to all the short cut lingo and I think the OP has clarified things. I too prefer 18 or 19 inch rims to 16 for handling. The seem much more nimble and responsive. I welcome him to the forum and hope this doesn't drive him or others off. And Rich I'm not sure of the tire you reference but am familiar with the Firestone ANS which I would like to try in the future. I will look up the ATS and see what they are about. On a lighter note I want to give a shout out to all our military and first responder folks and the health care workers with Memorial Day coming up!!! Hooray for you and your families!!

Comment

rusb27826 is probably a member that won't be back. . . . Way to go.
                  Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  So who won?

Not the 'hobby', just the divas.

....Cotten
                  Is this another one of your replies to a question no one asked? Say what you mean. If you're going after me, spit it out and say it plain English.
                  Hokey Smoke, Folks!

T'was I who asked the question.

It was agreeing: We really don't want to run off new blood, do we?

....Cotten
                  PS: Paranoid,.. Eric?
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-19-2020, 02:33 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Rollo, My error I meant the ANS. That's why the early K's, Sportsters, and many Brit bikes had 18's and 19's for clearance and nimble handling. With my wide police bars and Flanders risers it handles like a dirt bike. it doesn't hurt to have the upper front leg assy. cross brace, slider dampner. neck dampner, and the bottom rocker J-model dampners.
                    DrSprocket

Comment

I think a lot of us are feeling the effects of isolation due to the plague. I spoke with our pest control guy today (at a safe distance, of course) and he's scared silly. I thought he was joking and I laughed at some of his comments, but he wasn't kidding. He thinks it's the end of the world. Again I will apologize to members that I was harsh with because I sometimes mis-read people's humor, or intent. A classic H.R. problem As Rollo so thoughtfully stated; we have a lot of people to thank for doing the dangerous, and thankless jobs during this weird time.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

My wife, who is a member of a Federal Disaster Team, is currently deployed to NYC to help with the immense overload to their medical sytems. They work 12 hour days 7 days a week. On the other hand I take care of the homestead, walk dogs, and stir ****. Some are heroes, some are heathens....
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

There is a bike on ebay that is for sale that has some interesting looking tires on it - the bike is a 1947 FL asking price is $46,000.00

I have messaged the seller on the size and manufacture of the tires - no reply. If anyone has any ideas on those tires I would appreciate it.

Thanks for all of the info -

Comment

Here is a screen shot of some tires on a 47 FL that is for sale on Ebay. The tires look too have a modern pattern and 18" in diameter. If anyone as any ideas on who makes these tires - please let me know. I messaged the seller - no reply.

Personally I like the look of the 18" wheels better as well - God Willing I am attempting to prepare a bike to run the Cross County Chase next time around. Thus my interest is improving the tires on my bike. Thanks for all of the information.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

This thread is filled with old farts and butthurt, so let me make it worse: You're all right. The KH was the forerunner to the Sportster and was born in the fifties, so asking for '47 KH parts is confusing. I'm probably younger than the original poster and I had no clue what he was talking about.

OP, if you're racing modern garbage, you're used to good tires. All these vintage-y tires suck; there's a reason tires aren't made this way any more. I run Avons front and rear (which Avon told me is a no-no, but even the devil hates a coward) on my old heap... they're "wrong" as the tread pattern is too late for the bike, but it isn't that noticeable and they're the closest you'll get to modern tire performance.

IMO, if you really just want a good performer, grab a set of Commander II/III or Night Dragons, but Lord, they'll be ugly.

Welcome to the board. These old coots are all grouchy about their dentures rubbing, but they're a good bunch of guys, and even the ones who rub me the wrong way are dang smart.

Comment

Working...
                              X