No announcement yet.

Stuck Piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that is funny, Arley; but I'll bet that works like a dream. Oh yeah, and you don't want to be at the aft end of the stroke either.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Arley Another thing I have done is use a grease gun. Make an appropriate fitting out of an old spark plug. Close the valves, fill the cylinder as full as you can with oil and then start pumping in grease. It is unbelievable just how much pressure a grease gun will put out.

Hey are you the Arley that I met on The Chase and owned the Indian that Panhead Fred rode?

Jerry

Originally posted by Arley View Post
      the antique tractor people plumb a hydraulic hose to the spark plug hole. Hook the hose to a tractor's hydraulic outlet. The piston will move ,I am sure it will be messy.
      Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 05-18-2020, 05:22 PM. Reason: speeling

Comment

I will wade in here and echo ATF..used that for 35 years and let it soak, let if soak, let it soak..Then I took a sawed down hockey stick, hey I'm Canadian..very light taps on the top of the piston and then all of a sudden there was a little movement one time, and then more soaking...The last 10 years or so I have been using a product called DEEP CREEP...I will point out that this procedure of mine was with at least 4 engines over the years from 1911,12 and 13..all cast iron pistons..in each case only a hone was required and the pistons buffed up nice after wards. I guess I was lucky..
        Ross

Comment

Yes Jerry, PHF told me about this forum. He has now gotten the Indian bug. I hope we can ride together next time. The grease gun trick shouldn't be as messy as the hydraulic trick lol.

Comment

It's gonna need heat to swell the cylinder and allow all those penetrating fluids to creep in around the rings. Because you have poured all that stuff in there an open flame heat source is not a good idea. A good heat gun should get it unstuck within a 1/2 hour.

For future reference heat with a rosebud torch then apply your penetrant of choice while it's still hot.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterwrench View Post
              It's gonna need heat to swell the cylinder and allow all those penetrating fluids to creep in around the rings. Because you have poured all that stuff in there an open flame heat source is not a good idea. A good heat gun should get it unstuck within a 1/2 hour.

For future reference heat with a rosebud torch then apply your penetrant of choice while it's still hot.
              What the hell...

Toss it on the kerosene stove!

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-18-2020, 03:04 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I might have a problem getting my motor, minus 1 cylinder to sit on top of a stove.
                Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
                  I might have a problem getting my motor, minus 1 cylinder to sit on top of a stove.
                  Craig
                  Gotta be resourceful, Craig!

With a Perfection heater as shown, you could use sawhorses and angle iron.

The IR thermometer is the only 'hi-tech' trick.

....Cotten
                  PS: Perfections were credited with saving lives during the Spanish Flu pandemic, because folks didn't have to stand in line for coal.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-19-2020, 12:58 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                  X