Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance and nuisance of a moderator

The importance and nuisance of a moderator

That’s what I thought I would call this post because it is kind of spot on as to the presence of an on-line moderator – you can’t live with them and you can’t live without them. I say this now because I think we all get a little edgier and a little less tolerant when our world changes and we live through the stress of all that change. The nature of our extraordinary world impacts us as a group and individuals and maybe influences the way we interact. Just keep that in mind as you participate here on our community forum.

As a moderator here in the forum I try to give it a subtle touch and let the flow of conversation go as long as things are within the posting guidelines. The posting guidelines were established by forum members long ago and with my many years of on-line forum moderation and administration I think they are very good guidelines. But the posting guidelines work best when the members work to fulfill them. If I am called on to enforce the guidelines then we’re all in trouble because then every tool in my toolbox for moderation looks like a big hammer and the corrections the moderator needs to impart looks like a nail. So keep me locked in the cabinet on the wall until you need something. The bottom line here is that for the most part if our posts and comments are about antique motorcycles we are going to be okay. If we treat our fellow members the way we want to be treated we are going to be okay.

The AMCA Community Forum (The Forum) is established solely for the purpose of providing members with a valuable source of information, communication and discussion about antique motorcycles 35 years and older. The AMCA is proud of its family friendly reputation and all posts and comments should be suitable for family viewing and reading. Questions and comments on AMCA policy, procedures and organization are better addressed to any Officer or Director who are listed in the AMCA magazine.

Please check out the specific posting guidelines here https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...tion-and-Rules

Lastly, I have been helping out with the AMCA Facebook Group over the last three months by evaluating and acting on new requests to join the group. The Facebook group now has over 30,000 members and I process an average of 150 new requests to join each day. I am still adjusting to the added workload in balancing the two forums and as always, I am a work in progress. The last month I have not been as on top of all the posts and comments here on the AMCA Community forum because there have been an increase in quirks of our programming here that have negatively impacted forum members and each one has required problem solving and back and forth communication with the affected member to get things straightened out. I am just now going back to reading over the many forum posts I have missed. I may not drill down on every post but I do at least scan each one more looking for problem indicators that I may need to deal with. I get an email for each forum post and comment an I have them go to a reading file so I can check them periodically. So if there are some problems out there either with functionality of the forum or inter-relations I haven’t seen them all yet. If you are having any problems just send me a direct email or a direct message within the forum and I will investigate. While lately we have had to resort to some work arounds due to the forum quirks I mentioned. To date I am not aware anyone we have left hung out to dry that can’t engage fully – but let me know of any problems. If a member has been patient with the process we have been able to get everyone engaged. Also don’t forget that I stand ready to help anyone work through some of the complexities of the way our forum works. I write out the procedures and make them a sticky note in the Welcome forum so they are available to members that need them. There are many guides to help out. A lot of the procedures come from members that have figured this forum out on their own.

Mike Love
    mikelove44@gmail.com
    AMCA Forum
    Last edited by ihrescue; 05-12-2020, 08:32 AM.

Sounds like a fun job, Mike! Thanks for all you do!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

WOW Mike, that is an amazing amount of work you've taken on. Good for you, but mostly, good for us to have you doing this work.

Thanks for all you do!

Gene Harper

Comment

Mike I can assure you, the next beer is on me...Well done and I have learned so much from this forum over the years and thank all those who have contributed their time and knowledge by sharing..
        Ross

Comment

I know your pain Mike. I've moderated and administrated S&S Cycle Flathead Power forum for more than 12 years. It became to much for me due to my own life issues so I stepped aside.

Comment

Mike, I appreciate all you do for this site and the constant battle you must face. All I can say is keep up the great work!
            Craig (Delaware)
            Delaware Bay Chapter
            Perkiomen Chapter
            AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Beyond our heart-felt thanks, Mike,...

Are you properly compensated for your effort?

You should be. With added 'hazard rate': You must bite your tongue 'til it bleeds!

...Cotten
              PS: What is this "Facebook" thing? With THAT much noise,.. nevermind.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-12-2020, 04:02 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by craig (DE) View Post
                Mike, I appreciate all you do for this site and the constant battle you must face. All I can say is keep up the great work!
                I agree! Thanks Mike.

Comment

Yes, keep it up Mike, but why does a 10,000 member Club with 30,000 Facebook members not have 30,000 Club members?

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                      Yes, keep it up Mike, but why does a 10,000 member Club with 30,000 Facebook members not have 30,000 Club members?
                      Russian 'bots!

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank You Mike.
                        I am new here and in my first year you have come to my help several times.
                        I appreciate THIS site (really NOT a 'facebook' person).
                        Thanks again.

Comment

Thank You for Your effort Mike Love.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Ah - Ha Steve that is yet the $30,000 question. Especially the bargain I think you get with the AMCA membership. Heck just the magazine is worth the amount of dues.

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                            X