Transmission main drive seal replacement tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission main drive seal replacement tool

I figured that after this tranny has been in my garage for 38 years I should probably install a new main drive seal. I did a little research and watched a couple u-tubes from supposed HD mechanics. One guy used a dent puller to ultimately pull out old seal and another guy had some kind of special tool that didn't work very well. I remembered buying a tool from HD some 40 years ago so I could replace a seal on my shovel and loaned it out several times, it worked like a charm. I dug it out to see if it would work on this early tranny and the seal looks like the same size. I got curious and did an internet search of HD tranny main seal removal tool and came up with some fancy expensive choices but none that looked like mine (see attached photo). Is this a relic of days gone by, it is a simple tool so seems strange to no one has made something similar.
    Attached Files

That looks a lot like the H-D tool my 45" shop manual has pictured. I wish I had something like that since my tranny seal behind the clutch hub leaks on my flathead.
    Craig (Delaware)
    Delaware Bay Chapter
    Perkiomen Chapter
    AMCA Member #1011

Comment

I'm sure more people will comment who have more knowledge than I do about that tool.
      Craig (Delaware)
      Delaware Bay Chapter
      Perkiomen Chapter
      AMCA Member #1011

Comment

That's the tool I have and have used successfully on a number of tranny's. I have lent this to a few chapter members so they could do the same. Mine is now missing the punch to pierce the metal on the seal but oh well!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA #12766

Comment

Working...
        X