Rectangular tool box for 35-36 VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectangular tool box for 35-36 VL

I just purchased a re-pop toolbox for a knucklehead, with the intention of modifying it to fit a VL - basically shaving the top-left corner for frame clearance. Original toolboxes and correct re-pops are non-existent for 1935-36.

The re-pop seems to have a non-functioning lock, neither key works. As I've never even held one of these tool boxes in my hand before, I have to ask, is there some trick to opening the lock, or did I get a piece of junk? Maybe the key is the incorrect length? It fits in the slot well, but if I try to turn it any harder, I'll bend it - it doesn't turn at all.

IMG_1077[4361].jpg
    IMG_1079[4360].jpg
    Last edited by NCriding; 05-11-2020, 07:58 PM.
    1936 VLD in process
    1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
    1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
    2006 KTM 950 Adventure
    2019 KTM 300 XCW

"Original toolboxes and correct re-pops are non-existent for 1935-36."

Replicant have them listed. Depending on how good your sheetmetal & welding skills are it, at least, gives you a choice. The lock should just rotate nicely.

https://www.replicantmetals.com/slid...%20tool%20box/

Comment

i have an original. are your wide enough to fill the slot with an angle on both sides? it should have two little balls in an the key should push them back to unllock it.

Comment

Replicant has them on his website, but they are not in inventory. My welding skills are pretty good, I can fab a new flat corner after trimming off the rounded one.

The issue is the lock, it wont rotate at all.
        1936 VLD in process
        2006 KTM 950 Adventure
        2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

Originally posted by vride5 View Post
          i have an original. are your wide enough to fill the slot with an angle on both sides? it should have two little balls in an the key should push them back to unllock it.
          I don’t see any little balls in the slot, but will look. Is my key slot long enough? My photo shows it at 0.300 inch.
          1936 VLD in process
          2006 KTM 950 Adventure
          2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

They don't have little balls in them (at least OEM doesn't), there is a round ended pin that the key needs to push up into the elongated portion of the lock to release it. It should be visible in the upper slot and should move freely if pushed with a small srewdriver or other pick type tool.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Maybe you could try squeezing the box and lid more tightly shut while turning the key...might be too much tension on mech. to allow lock to turn. good luck Smitty

Comment

that's why i asked the width of the key, it has to fill the slot to push the latch back all the way

Comment

Cosmoline was the issue. The tool box is raw metal with a light coat of cosmoline on it. The lock had a little on it too, after a day of soaking with WD40, then Kroil, it finally turned - with great difficulty. I bet I used 10 lbs ft of force on that key, fortunately the key did not bend. Will continue the soaking, hopefully it will loosen up.

Thanks for the advice!
                  1936 VLD in process
                  2006 KTM 950 Adventure
                  2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

You'll also have to move the rear mounting bracket nearer the edge of the tool box to make it fit a VL.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                      You'll also have to move the rear mounting bracket nearer the edge of the tool box to make it fit a VL.
                      I didn't move the frame bracket to fit my "REPRO" toolbox. I'd have to look closer at what I did. I'm not saying mine is in the 100% position, but it looks good. I seem to remember just cutting out the top corner and then welding a filler piece back in.... hmmm... Now I'll have to look at mine to see. That was something like almost 20+ years ago when I did that. I didn't have any issues with the lock either.
                      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Dear Jim, it's not the bracket brazed to the frame that needs to be moved, but the bracket on the rear of the tool box. Maybe that's what you meant, in which case sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                          Dear Jim, it's not the bracket brazed to the frame that needs to be moved, but the bracket on the rear of the tool box. Maybe that's what you meant, in which case sorry.

Ah... I thought you meant the bracket on the frame. Now I MUST look at my tool box and see what I did. I just can't remember that far back! HAHA
                          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                          X