Wanted Sidecar Windshield for '82 Harley FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted Sidecar Windshield for '82 Harley FLH

Anyone have any leads on a windshield for an '82 Harley sidecar? The original design didn't have any reinforcement around the attachment bolt holes, so they were easy to break.
    Thanks,
    John

I had a 82 FLH Classic with matching sidecar with the same issue. I bought a piece of plastic and made a new one. I think that it was Lexan a brand name but also known as polycarbonate plastic sheet. It can be cut on a bandsaw with a fine tooth blade. Just do a google search for ways to cut and finish it. Make a pattern first out of heavy poster board or something from a Dollar Tree Store.
    Jim D

Comment

Jim,
      Thanks for the reply. That's probably what I'll wind up doing. I thought I'd give it a try here anyway.
      John

Comment

I have made a number of windshields. After I had the pattern made and scribed it on one side of the plastic with the protective sheet removed I would then cover the plastic up with wide masking tape to within a 1/8 in. of the scribe mark to protect it. Use a fine tooth blade to avoid chipping. I use a 14 TPI blade. A small drum sander held in the drill press chuck to finish it and then a small scotch-brite type wheel for the final finish in the drill press. Look around at Harbor Freight for the finishing materials.
        Jim D

Comment

Jim, You've convinced me. Thanks for the details. I'll give it a try, no pain no gain they say. Were you ever able to find the beaded edging? The original windshield had a 3/8 or 1/2 in clear plastic bead around the edge.

Comment

One other question, what thickness did you use? It seems like the thicker the sheet of plastic, the stronger it is, but the less flexible it is to fit the curvature of the windshield frame.

Comment

The material thickness I think is 1/8 inch. I owned a number of new Electra Glides and always made a new windshield to fit me. I also used to cut them down them for other riders. I never looked for the bead that goes around the edge so I can't be much help with it. But it may be available through a vendor. When you get the plastic sheet just practice with the extra material cutting and finishing it before working on the final one. Lexan is pretty easy to work with it doesn't melt or ball up as fast as a softer plastic will. When trying to smooth a plastic edge and it is melting or balling up you need to slow the finishing tool speed down. A HARD FELT wheel can also be used to finish after sanding it. Even they can be purchased in different grades of hardness.
              Jim D

Comment

Thanks Jim!

Comment

Working...
                X