rear cylinder misfiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear cylinder misfiring help

1934 chief with magneto, can't figure out why my rear cylinder is missing. checked spark, valve gaps, compression, out of ideas. when it misses I get some oil out of the exhaust port? help thanks chris

Diagnostic #1, Chris!

http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Please use a constant, regulated air supply,

Then you can go on to other things..

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

sounds like it may have wet sumped ?

Comment

well I made up a pressure test fitting and gave it a try found a few very small bubbles, don't think this is it cause front cylinder runs fine , open to other ideas thanks chris

Comment

Originally posted by cscott View Post
          well I made up a pressure test fitting and gave it a try found a few very small bubbles, don't think this is it cause front cylinder runs fine , open to other ideas thanks chris
          No leak is an acceptable leak, Chris!

If you saw any bubbles at all, fix that first (or fix a lot more later).

....Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

Was it ever running good?
            did you check the ignition timing of each cylinder?If say the front( #2) cylinder is timed with rear #1 mag cam shoe the timing would be right only for the front timed cylinder.
            When I had my 34 apart I put some center punch marks 1/2 btdc for both cylinders centered in the oil vent line hole. Then set up the mag with magneto induction timer.Makes timing and check mag a lot easier.
            Tom

Comment

what does anyone think of kiwi composite cones for the intake manifold ? thanks

Comment

when at idle or running slow it misses when I ride and speed up it smooths out at higher rpm, the mag is a baby bosch and the gap I tried at 15 and 20 cant get alot of info about this mag, with plugs out and spinning there is good spark at both plugs

Comment

Originally posted by cscott View Post
                  what does anyone think of kiwi composite cones for the intake manifold ? thanks
                  Not familiar with them, Chris,..

Unless they are Endfield Racing's mass-produced PEEK seals.

Or perhaps Mike is properly custom-cutting PEEK?

If they stop the bubbles, they work!

...Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-09-2020, 01:55 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

A wrong degree magneto would take a lot of diagnosing...

Comment

hi steve, this is what I have a ffvrs 53 the interrupter is 42 degree and it is set up for counterclockwise rotation heres some pics maybe iam missing some thing100_1967.jpg100_1971.jpg100_1968.jpg100_1969.jpg

Comment

We must have members more expert than me on magnetos. Over here we had a 50 degree motor fitted with a 45 degree mag which had rear cylinder problems too. A 45 degree mag on a 42 degree motor would also run unevenly. It must be worth one last check before moving elsewhere.

Comment

I am no expert by any means although I have been chasing a fault of my own recently.

You say it misfires at low revs but is OK at higher revs?

First fix the intake leak that you mentioned.

Then get the ignition right. I have always been told that most fueling problems are really ignition problems. Measure the firing point BTDC on both cylinders in case, as Steve mentioned, the mag has the wrong timing.

Do those two things first before moving on.

John.

Comment

The position of the points in pic is about where you would be timing front cylinder,with front wire to front plug.
                            My mag timed the rear cylinder slightly late even though its also 42,so I had to take a little off the front cam shoe.I doubt the motor would have misfired though.
                            Thats a beautiful mag,I wish my rubbing block showed as little wear.
                            Also the suggestion about wet sumping is a good point and easy to eliminate by draining the sump after a run and see how much oil is in the sump.
                            Tom

Comment

hello Tom , if it sits around awhile it will wet sump , I drain it from the upper plug before I run it. What do you think the cause of the wet sumping may be as when running the return line does have oil coming back, I have the supply screw at 1.5 turns , could that be to much? thanks chris
                              Last edited by cscott; 05-11-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X