valve cover wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve cover wrench

Early K models used valve covers (18255-52) that required a 1 3/8” wrench. Later models used 18255-52A, which took a 1 ¼” wrench. My question is: Where can I get a 1 ¼” wrench that will fit in my KHK’s tool box?

I was able to remake a Harley W model valve cover wrench from V Twin (16-0414) to fit the early model (1 3/8”) valve covers that a mechanic removed without my permission and substituted later (1 1/4”) model covers. Now, I am stuck with valve covers that are the wrong size for my wrench. Any suggestions on where I can find the wrench I need?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

I would shop for a 1 1/4 wrench on ebay to modify.Or obtain a piece of aluminum 2024 T3 1/4 thick plate and cut one out on a bandsaw and hand file it to fit the cover. I have made numerous wrenches from aluminum for special applications.
    Last edited by jim d; 05-07-2020, 05:29 PM.
    Jim D

Comment

P1010017.jpgThis is a wrench that they make for the fitting on a nitrous bottle. It is 1 1/4 inches and 1/2 inch thick aluminum, it worked perfect on my 1953 K model. They sell them at Jegs and summit or any race shop.

Comment

P1010017.jpgThis wrench is for a nitrous bottle fitting it is 1 1/4 inches and 1/2 inch thick and it worked perfect on my 1953 K model they sell them at Jegs and Summit or most race shops

Comment

Thanks. It looks like it will fit in my tool box with the other stuff I cram in there.
          George Tinkham
          Springfield, IL
          www.virmc.com
          AMCA # 1494
          1941 Indian 841
          1948 Indian Chief
          1956 H-D KHK
          1960 CH
          1964 BMW R69S
          1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Another option (but more expensive) are steel service wrenches from Proto. The image below shows a set I use on K Model intake manifold nuts and large valve cover nuts. If the wrench is too long you can of course reduce the length to whatever you desire.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto.../dp/B0025QHPAU

Proto service wrench.jpg

Comment

This looks like the wrench I just ordered yesterday. Thank you for your suggestion.
              George Tinkham
              Springfield, IL
              www.virmc.com
              AMCA # 1494
              1941 Indian 841
              1948 Indian Chief
              1956 H-D KHK
              1960 CH
              1964 BMW R69S
              1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

The 1 1/4" wrench by Proto suggested by wx507 fits in the tool box nicely and works on the back 3 covers with no problems. It tends to scratch the paint on the generator when used on the front cover. I can slap on a little touch-up paint when this happens or shave some metal off the wrench. It is a nicely made tool, and I am satisfied.
                George Tinkham
                Springfield, IL
                www.virmc.com
                AMCA # 1494
                1941 Indian 841
                1948 Indian Chief
                1956 H-D KHK
                1960 CH
                1964 BMW R69S
                1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

The 1-3/8” rear EX valve cover is by far the most difficult one to access given its proximity to the oil-return and vent lines. The service wrench needs to be put on a diet to access this area, but with modification it allows access with a bit of room to spare.

Service wrench B4 and after.jpg

LR 20200610_191531.jpg
                  Last edited by wz507; 06-11-2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. This is one of the reasons I joined AMCA: to be a better mechanic and caretaker of my machines.
                    George Tinkham
                    Springfield, IL
                    www.virmc.com
                    AMCA # 1494
                    1941 Indian 841
                    1948 Indian Chief
                    1956 H-D KHK
                    1960 CH
                    1964 BMW R69S
                    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

While making a wrench fit, by grinding off alot of extra metal for clearance, it got me thinking... so I gathered a bunch of various wrenches for a separate drawer in the tool box. I now have a complete set, and spares of all the wrenches I use on the bikes. Everything from 1/4" all the way to 1 1/2". I "made " them for everything from the tiny nuts behind the distributor up to the intake manifold nuts. Even made a wrench for the rear axel brake drum and the axel itself. I don't use them all that often, but when you need them, the modified wrenches are in the dedicated drawer in the tool box. They then become the "right tool" for the job. Many of these tools I found at swap meets and such. I wouldn't use them as ordinary, everyday tools, but an old beat-up wrench that you modify can give the wrench a new, second chance at life. I might have $50 total in close to 30 modified wrenches. SAE and Metric, and a few oddballs.
                      You ca never have enough tools.

Comment

Working...
                      X