1948FL cylinder paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Isn't it time for AMCA judging and awards to go 'virtual'? Closing the Meets is the biggest blow to the judging system since they fired Robyn Markey.....Cotten
    Hasn't virtual judging (or at least some hybrid system) been discussed and considered? If maybe not (seriously) by AMCA? Maybe beating dead horse or preaching to choir, but still many reasons to go to meets in person. Based on complaints, it's hard to believe that virtual judging would not improve process and results. I have seen an army of virtual judges form to dissect Todd's bikes and other bikes in CSI-like fashion and regularly see bona fide experts correct other bona fide experts. Surely collective eyes and wisdom of many or at least more with access to more resources would be superior to whoever and however many happen(s) to be on site on any given day with whatever they have access to. Improved process and results should (after some change-grumbling and growing pains) lead to more satisfaction and enjoyment and participation for and by judged and judges alike. Isn't that the purpose/goal? Reduced expenses and more convenience, including as to ability to secure time and services of desirable judges when and where they are desired. Virtual global judges and eventually virtual global participants. I know that I would feel a lot more confident going into process, and with results, if I knew that a greater number of guys (e.g., like Robbie and Chris and others on here) would be weighing in and conferring with each other (as opposed to a lesser number of guys, even if the lesser number included guys like Robbie and Chris). More isn't always better. But, in this case, benefit of more brains and experience has to be better.
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Comment

I have no dog in this discussion since I don't have anything that could be judged but several in our chapter have been judges and from what I understand the system is the kind of hybrid one where there is both virtual and on site judging. Not usre it happens that way at all meets but know it has happened at Oley the last couple of years. I know I have heard the loud speaker announcer on this and seen my guy go to one of the buildings there to participate. Don do you care to educate the masses on this?

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA #12766

Comment

Speaking of cylinder paint, and AMCA Judging; I just got a new pair of Shinko tires for my '51FL, and my wife is going to get me new walking shoes for my birthday. Oh yeah, and we had a woodpecker in our yard this morning.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          Speaking of cylinder paint, and AMCA Judging; I just got a new pair of Shinko tires for my '51FL, and my wife is going to get me new walking shoes for my birthday. Oh yeah, and we had a woodpecker in our yard this morning.
          Don't worry Folks!

Narcissism isn't contagious.

The Oley initiative sounds promising; Anything that can preserve more of judging content than just a final award should be encouraged.

...Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

"Okay Folks", I think the irony of seeking judging advice from the most militant, anti-AMCA judging troll is riotously funny, but way off topic. There is a Judging category on this forum and that would be the right place for this discussion.

"P.S." I started this thread to get advice about a specific year, and finish which I posted in the correct category. Now I am being trolled, and harassed by a nit-wit. If the administrator of this forum could please intercede and do the job of oversight, it would be most appreciated.

I'll bet there will be another insulting, nonsense reply from my personal troll, aka 'Last Word Louie'.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

"Okay Folks", I think the irony of seeking judging advice from the most militant, anti-AMCA judging troll is riotously funny, but way off topic. There is a Judging category on this forum and that would be the right place for this discussion.

"P.S." I started this thread to get advice about a specific year, and finish which I posted in the correct category. Now I am being trolled, and harassed by a nit-wit. If the administrator of this forum could please intercede and do the job of oversight, it would be most appreciated.

I'll bet there will be another insulting, nonsense reply from my personal troll, aka 'Last Word Louie'.
              I'm now Eric's "personal troll"?

(That's 'clinical' narcissism at its best.)

The judging system must be reformed, or face extinction.

We should all want to preserve History, the best that the AMCA can, Folks,...

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-09-2020, 05:03 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

And there it is, my troll has spoken.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

And there it is, my troll has spoken.
                  Just for you yeah right, Eric!

My sincere hope is that there will be a revival of local meets, whether judged,.. or not...

...Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-09-2020, 05:20 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

I told you, "Last Word Louie". The asshole can't help himself.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

I told you, "Last Word Louie". The asshole can't help himself.
                      Please let him slide, Administrators...

"Nit-Wit" and "asshole" roll off my back like water on a duck.

Back to 'correct', even though Eric posted: 'the hell with correctness'..

The AMCA still has to carry the weight of preserving History, even if it dropped it in the past.

....Cotten
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-09-2020, 06:06 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

STOP. Please STOP. What in the hell is wrong with you?
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Looking forward to getting my cylinders nice and warm to cure the silver paint
                          Interesting though; I was told that it was not until 1970 that the MOCO went back to black cylinders. I left mine black, I like the look & I considered it crap-ton of work for a 1/4 pt. .
                          William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                          http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wideglide38 View Post
                            Interesting though; I was told that it was not until 1970 that the MOCO went back to black cylinders. I left mine black, I like the look & I considered it crap-ton of work for a 1/4 pt. .
                            1970 still had Silver cylinders for the FLH, can't speak for XL's. But yes sometime in the 70's they went black.

Comment

I'm going through the motor for my '48FL and just finished sizing, and honing the cylinders. I want to paint the cylinders but would like to know what was correct for an early '48FL in the low 2900 range. I guess it's black cylinders, but as Robbie has accurately stated int he past, H-D used a gloss black paint on most everything that was suppose to be black. In Bruce's books, the '48 era 45" had a gloss black finish on it's cylinders, and heads. In other Pohlman photos of the 48 BT, they show a dull black which could have been deglossed for advertising reasons. Regardless, does anyone have an opinion on this?

I would much rather paint the cylinders silver because I think that looks a lot better on a Panhead. I may still do that and the hell with correctness, but it would be nice to get some knowledgeable insight.
                              Eric,
                              I'm thinking of having to use high temp silver or black as the MoCo produced for cylinders and complete exhaust. I have found original cans of silver but the black is hard to find. Been looking for a black gloss high temp replacement for quite some time now. Only to come up with the black Rust-Oleum high heat ultra semi-gloss sheen spray can. It's the closet that I have found and a good friend told me about it. Hope this helps.
                              AMCA #765

Comment

Len,
                                have you looked at VHT brand high heat gloss black?

Comment

Working...
                                X