No announcement yet.

Help with frame number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd have to look again Tom when I get back where it is but I believe the legs go straight into the bottom casting and the legs flair out about half way down. I'm thinking pre-34 then. I appreciate all the help.
    DrSprocket

Comment

For the Scout anyway, frame serial numbers didn’t begin until 1931 (or late 1930). My Scout frame has the casting number 35-0-12-F upside down on the left axle casting above the axle, nothing below the axle.
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thank you Harry. My friend and I think it was maybe as early as 1930.
        DrSprocket

Comment

When I bought my 36 Chief, I dropped by Bob's Indian on the way back to have him look it over. He noticed that mine had matching numbers on engine and frame and made the comment that it was good but a lot out there did not match. He mentioned that Indian started numbering frames, at least on Chiefs, in 1923. Not sure if this is true or not but found it interesting since HD didn't until the 70's. Not saying he is right or wrong just putting out there what he told me. Any one confirm or deny this for sure?

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
          AMCA #12766

Comment

Hi Rollo, I’ve seen this chart in the Rider’s Guides and in a few other places including one of Jerry Hatfield’s guides. Note that it doesn’t list any numbers except for engine numbers until 1931 for any of the Indian models, and then it begins to list serial numbers which are frame numbers. The 101 Association clearly states that frame numbers did not occur until late 1930 on the Scout, though I haven’t seen that statement made for the Chief it appears from the chart that the Chiefs were in the same boat...no frame numbers until 1931.

Attached Files
            Last edited by pisten-bully; 05-09-2020, 11:21 AM.
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks for that Harry. I think I have seen that chart in one of the Indian books I have but never really had any need to dive that far into it since mine was good to go no matter what.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA #12766

Comment

Working...
              X