Help with frame number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with frame number

Have nice frame with number on rear axle stay upside down , left rear. Number is 35-C-12-F. Can you help with dating. I'm not an Indian guy. Thanks, Rich
    DrSprocket

Hmm,

Sources:

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...y-your-indian/

https://starklite.com/indian-motorcy...an-motorcycle/

195?

1950 if C is a zero (0).

Comment

I don't know about that one. Do you know the approximate year and model? Here is some info that may help:

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...y-your-indian/
      http://www.wildriders.org/threads/in...al_numbers.htm

Comment

It's a rigid frame with a leaf spring fork so not fifty for sure. Should be '36 to '39? The first 3 should mean Chief? So would the second number mean thirty- five? For sure it's a C.
        DrSprocket

Comment

Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of:
          The frame.
          Leaf spring fork.
          &
          Serial number.
          I am looking in Jerry Hatfield "Indian Motocycle Restoration Guide" and find
          Suspension frames started 1940 prior to that rigid.
          Girder fork started 1946 prior to this leaf spring.

Comment

Paul, I don't do photos. My friend's '38 Chief has his numbers in the same place and they are 338 which is first 3 for Chief and the 38 for year. My is 35 then space then C etc. I know it's mid to late thirties Chief frame but code seems different than usual. Never altered it's got it's original black paint and fork leaf spring fork still attached.
            DrSprocket

Comment

I can appreciate photos can be a hassle.
              Let's go from where we are at.
              1931-1939 Chief
              Referencing Hatfield's Guide:
              Looking at the forks:
              "The fender mounting tab for 1935-39 was 4 1/2 inches below the fork side brace."
              "The fender mounting tab for 1932-34 was 3 1/2 inches below the fork side brace."
              Hope this helps.

Comment

35-C-12-F sounds like an Indian casting number. The frame number should be close to that. I can check on one of my frames if I find that casting number.

Comment

Originally posted by gsottl View Post
                  35-C-12-F sounds like an Indian casting number. The frame number should be close to that. I can check on one of my frames if I find that casting number.
                  It does indeed sound like a casting number. Upside down also sounds like a casting number. Is there another number punched in below the axle on the left rear ?
                  Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

on my 36 Chief I have a casting number above the axle. Hard to read and I do not want to remove the paint, but it could be 35 C 12 F. The frame number is on the boss below the axle.

Comment

Thank you I'll check.
                      DrSprocket

Comment

My 36 Chief has 336 and then vin number on left axle plate below axle. Motor is CCF and then vin number and both match and BY at the end signifying battery model.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                        AMCA #12766

Comment

my 35 chief frame has raised casting numbers on both axle plates.
                          Left side above the vin boss upside down 85017 S
                          Right side upside right 85015 S
                          They are clearly 8's not 3's.
                          As mentioned frame vin for 35 chief would be 335 xxxx.No nuberson the vin boss?
                          Tom
                          BTW my 34 chief has the same as above and my 38 looks the same but much harder to read with paint.
                          So I suspect the above casting numbers are the same 34-39.
                          Tom
                          Last edited by tfburke3; 05-07-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Checked it again today and there is no serial number boss or number below the left rear axle slot. The casting number is above the slot. Starting to believe this may be as early as a 1930 frame or?. When did the numbering start on the rear axle stay?
                            DrSprocket

Comment

I dont know when the vin boss on left started.I am most familiar with 34 and up. and the rear plate has the boss.
                              I do believe a 1930 doesnt have the 34-53(maybe earlier) front motor mount set up with castings at the bottom of front frame tubes but has the front tubes bent at the bottom to form the bottom rails.The front tubes also are not straight but bend out about half way down.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X