Shimming the front motor mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimming the front motor mount

Since I chopped my first 73 police special in 1976. I have built a whole lot of of different bike and once I learned about cracking the front ears on the engine block if you tightened it down before you checked to see of it needed to be shimed. I've used many different things to do the task. What is the best and easiest way to shim the front engine mount? I'm working on my UL and knuckle right now. Is there any correct size shims that the engine mount bolt itself will hold in place so I dont have to glue it in. Thanks
    Last edited by Sidehacker; 05-03-2020, 07:56 PM.

I appreciate the information but I believe we are talking about two different things. I'm looking to shim the fron motor mount that needs a .020 shim. In the past I have used feeler gauge and glue it in place but then is has to be torqued down very quickly and very carefully so it doesnt have time to set adding to the problem. Any way the only commercial shim I have found, it seems you have to buy a complete kit which is very exspensive.

Comment

GM starter motor shims line up pretty well.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I've used band iron in the past.

Comment

Shim steel stock.
          AMCA #765

Comment

Thanks but after looking around and getting examples of everyones everyone's ones Robbie's was incredibly easy I had to buy two different sets from two different manufactures but I found the perfect fit. My question is did you discover this yourself or was this passed on to you buy someone else
            All I really had to do was grind the tab off the end so it did not stick out and I also had to grind the open end off do it wasn't too long but I was actually amazed at the holes lining up. Thanks again Robbie

Comment

gm starter shims come i a pack of about 5 all different thickness. you should be able to it some for your need . remember to tighten rear mount frist then top be for you mess with front

Comment

Working...
              X