Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1925 Chief Front Hub Questions

Hi
    Can anyone tell me the correct spoke pattern for the front spool hub on a 1925 Chief? Should they cross another spoke 3 or 4 times? What length and gauge should they be? What are the basic dimensions of the stock spool? I think 40 spokes is right, but how about diameter of the flanges and the width of the hub? I have several hubs, and I am hoping one of them is correct!

Many thanks!

Steven Lawrence

The 1925 Big Chief was the first year for 27 x 3.85 balloon tires. I had a 1924 Big Chief which came standard with 28 x 3 tires. The rim is smaller in diameter for the balloon tire. I recall the 28x 3 rim was a bit over 20" in diameter (don't know what the 27 x 3.85 rim is). The '25 B.C. used 40 spoke hubs and rims for front and rear, and are a cross 4 pattern. Close examination of early photos will tell you which direction the outer spokes went but that becomes apparent when you begin lacing the wheel; still, it will save you time to know it the outer spokes go left or right. I probably have some spokes left over from my Series 20 Excelsior wheels which are probably the same length as Indian, so I can give you a dimension. Oddly enough, the same length spokes work for front and rear, even though the hubs are bigger diameter in the rear. Do you have a parts book, and do you have all of the spokes, hubs, and rims to build a wheel? If you don't, you have some research to do, and probably need to get a rim from McRoberts who advertises in our club magazine. Also, Buchannan's for plain steel spokes as Indian painted the whole wheel black. I've made hubs in the past, with modern bearings but I don't do that anymore. I would recommend upgrading your hub's assembled ball bearings to modern sealed bearings.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thank you very much for the information. I have the original rear wheel and rim, and McRoberts new replacement front and rear rims. I have several possible front hubs, but don't know if they are correct. Very helpful to know that the front and rear spokes are the same length. I do have original rust damaged rear spokes that came with the bike so I can use them to temporarily lace up the front wheel, and then I'll have a pattern to order some new ones. I checked my parts books, the numbers for the spokes are similar, some of the suffix letters may not be the same. Indian part numbers are difficult to remember!

Comment

I did make an Indian Big Chief hub for a friend and I used my '24 hub for dimensions. Of course I didn't document that because I figured it was a one shot deal. I do recall that the hub was very similar to many mid-teens to mid-20s hubs (however, the devil is in the details). If you have machining access, I think you could wing it and make your own hub and utilize a modern bearing that won't fall apart, and kill you like the original assembled ball bearing hubs. Also, keep in mind that the hub can be made out of 6061 T6 aluminum that is much easier to machine than steel, and still safe. The whole wheel assembly gets painted black so, Bob's your uncle
        Last edited by exeric; 05-01-2020, 06:57 PM.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Contact Kent Thompson in NH. He may have a hub, or can help you identify one. He is also a great source for early chief parts and knowledge in general.

Comment

Gene, I was lucky enough to visit Kent's shop on a National road run. I don't know if I'll quite ever be the same. Whew!
            DrSprocket

Comment

Kent is definitely one of the unsung heros of the AMCA. He'll talk to anyone, and tell them anything he knows about. . . Whatever (which is a lot). . . And, he may have the part you've been looking for. A true gentleman, and one of the good guys in our club.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,
                I agree 100%!! Kent has been a great friend and help with my early chief projects over the years! Like you said, he willingly shares all his knowledge and is a great resource for parts. Often if he doesn't have what you need he knows someone who does, or did and that tip often pans out as one more elusive part found. Great guy all around!

Comment

Working...
                X