• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona Sport Scout model 648 Parts List

List of parts used;

Handlebars and risers were the Short Sport type from a 1948 Chief
    Suspension is leading link, truss/spring
    Rear frame is Scout 741
    Center main-frame is keystone type from a 640 Sport Scout or 1940-42 Sport Scout frame
    Headlight should be standard Motolamp, black shell with chrome bezel
    Oil tank is trapezoid shape and mounted under the saddle; will most likely need to be fabricated and holds 2.5 quarts.
    Oil pump is from a 1948 Chief with a modified special cam cover as well as externally also in terms of plumbing; the passages were graduated instead of uniform size; also, there was no scavenger oil pump, only an oil fitting
    Forks are 741 with New Zealand style brackets
    Gas tank is Sport Scout type with double compartment, though the oil side was not used for oil what year 1940-1942(?) They were actually made smaller than the street machines made available to the general public due to racing purposes. The oil side has no compartment. They held 3.7 gallons of fuel.
    Saddle is British, Terry style seat
    Brake left hand-lever is same as 1946 Chief; used front and rear backing plates mated to beefier Sport Scout drums for brakes.
    Hand-Clutch shift mechanism is Jockey Style with shifter lever on the right.
    Throttle is left grip activated.
    Brake lever is straight; same as 1946 Chief
    Front brake arm is plated on the brake plate
    Ignition is gear-driven.
    Shifter lever arrangement is direct type, same as 1934-1936 Sport Scout or Chief(?)
    Magneto was Edison-Splitdorf brand and mounted vertically and had flexible, side-mounted feed and return lines; location was now to oil pump replacing the rear of the primary drive. The primary drive is Triplex chain.
    Inner primary cover is cast over and completely sealed minus the cutout for passage of the generator chain that is no longer required.
    Final drive is chain type.
    Carburetor was Linkert 1 ¼”
    Chain guard was originally a cut version of the 741 military Scout; use the standard full version
    1948 Indian script footboards
    Mufflers are racing type, one over the other see. Art Devore’s in IMI or JH in IMRG
    Flywheels, cylinder and heads were made of narrower cast steel from the 841 military Scout design
    Front cam shaft was altered to drive the new 1948 Chief aluminum oil pump
    Pistons were domed more than earlier Sport Scout types which also required reshaping of the combustion chambers
    Several cooling fins had to be cut in order to get the magneto into the frame
    Engine is a 45ci with compression at 8.5:1 42 degree v-twin side valve
    Crankcases are the same as the Sport Scout type, yet the 648 has scrapers built into the case and no baffles on top of the case
    1941 Junior Scout 541 front fender; use the full type—do not cut and brace
    Rear fender is from the 30.50 Junior Scout model modified racing type—use the full version
    Rear stand is kick under type.
    Wheels were originally cad plated, though would look very good chromed.
    Wheelbase is 58 inches.

What were the other 50 special parts?

-John

I should add that this information was gathered from Rick Conner's Indian Data Book 1940-1953 p. 179-181.
    Also, several issues of Indian Illustrated Magazine.
    I should add;
    bike weight 325 lbs.
    top speed=110 mph
    clutch was wet multi-disc
    engine was 45 ci (744.628 cc) side valve 42 degree v-twin with 2.88 x 3 1/2" (73.152 x 88.9 mm) bore and stroke
    compression ratio was 8.5:1
    estimated HP was 42-45
    Tires were 4.00 x 18" front and rear

Two additional questions:
    How could you configure the rebuild to accommodate a speedometer? (You would most likely use the 1948-1951 Chief/Scout Stewart-Warner speedometer.)
    Could you also implement a side-prop stand?

-JR

Comment

It probably wasn't just any 1¼” Linkert, John!

My suspicion is that it was a "Bonne" model.

And the manifold hogged out..

....Cotten
      PS: You might like a removable 'racing kickstand'.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-05-2020, 01:13 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Why wait to see what I post before finding something wrong?
        Be creative!
        Last edited by kitabel; 05-05-2020, 08:41 PM.
        The Linkert Book

Comment

I didn't think Indian ever fell for a 'booster', Kitabel!

But I've never encountered an M346, either..

Once upon a time, Michael Breeding showed me a Roger Reiman carb where the whole mouth was taper-bored to the venturi, legendarily an HD factory racing experiment.

I had no idea what I was looking at.

....Cotten
          PS: The closest I ever got to a 648 are Pic #9 on page one, and the cases shown on page 2 at http://virtualindian.org/7eventdport.htm
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-05-2020, 06:06 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I'm only dreaming for now--thank you each for your comments

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
            I didn't think Indian ever fell for a 'booster', Kitabel!

But I've never encountered an M346, either..

Once upon a time, Michael Breeding showed me a Roger Reiman carb where the whole mouth was taper-bored to the venturi, legendarily an HD factory racing experiment.

I had no idea what I was looking at.

....Cotten
            PS: The closest I ever got to a 648 are Pic #9 on page one, and the cases shown on page 2 at http://virtualindian.org/7eventdport.htm
            I know what you mean. When I read the IMI on Art Devor's bike I sent an email to Don Emde and asked what those 50 special parts were. He said even he didn't know. So my guess is that this is most of them with the exception of internal case components and so on. I browsed the Enfield Racing website as they make the full repro model now, though unless you have a moldy 17k stashed away somewhere, yes, still just a dream, though what a dream to have. You could actually build one now with the Enfield cases and other motor parts. There are still 741 frames everywhere as well as sport scout tanks and main frames, moderately priced on occasion. Maybe some day. We'll see.

Thanks.
            -John

Comment

[QUOTE=JTR249;189604]List of parts used;

Handlebars and risers were the Short Sport type from a 1948 Chief
              Suspension is leading link, truss/spring
              Rear frame is Scout 741
              Center main-frame is keystone type from a 640 Sport Scout or 1940-42 Sport Scout frame
              Headlight should be standard Motolamp, black shell with chrome bezel
              Oil tank is trapezoid shape and mounted under the saddle; will most likely need to be fabricated and holds 2.5 quarts.
              Oil pump is from a 1948 Chief with a modified special cam cover as well as externally also in terms of plumbing; the passages were graduated instead of uniform size; also, there was no scavenger oil pump, only an oil fitting
              Forks are 741 with New Zealand style brackets
              Gas tank is Sport Scout type with double compartment, though the oil side was not used for oil what year 1940-1942(?) They were actually made smaller than the street machines made available to the general public due to racing purposes. The oil side has no compartment. They held 3.7 gallons of fuel.
              Saddle is British, Terry style seat
              Brake left hand-lever is same as 1946 Chief; used front and rear backing plates mated to beefier Sport Scout drums for brakes.
              Hand-Clutch shift mechanism is Jockey Style with shifter lever on the right.
              Throttle is left grip activated.
              Brake lever is straight; same as 1946 Chief
              Front brake arm is plated on the brake plate
              Ignition is gear-driven.
              Shifter lever arrangement is direct type, same as 1934-1936 Sport Scout or Chief(?)
              Magneto was Edison-Splitdorf brand and mounted vertically and had flexible, side-mounted feed and return lines; location was now to oil pump replacing the rear of the primary drive. The primary drive is Triplex chain.
              Inner primary cover is cast over and completely sealed minus the cutout for passage of the generator chain that is no longer required.
              Final drive is chain type.
              Carburetor was Linkert 1 ¼”
              Chain guard was originally a cut version of the 741 military Scout; use the standard full version
              1948 Indian script footboards
              Mufflers are racing type, one over the other see. Art Devore’s in IMI or JH in IMRG
              Flywheels, cylinder and heads were made of narrower cast steel from the 841 military Scout design
              Front cam shaft was altered to drive the new 1948 Chief aluminum oil pump
              Pistons were domed more than earlier Sport Scout types which also required reshaping of the combustion chambers
              Several cooling fins had to be cut in order to get the magneto into the frame
              Engine is a 45ci with compression at 8.5:1 42 degree v-twin side valve
              Crankcases are the same as the Sport Scout type, yet the 648 has scrapers built into the case and no baffles on top of the case
              1941 Junior Scout 541 front fender; use the full type—do not cut and brace
              Rear fender is from the 30.50 Junior Scout model modified racing type—use the full version
              Rear stand is kick under type.
              Wheels were originally cad plated, though would look very good chromed.
              Wheelbase is 58 inches.

What were the other 50 special parts?

-John

Special parts that I know of:

1. Crank cases
              2. Flywheels
              3. Pistons (doomed)
              4. Crank pin
              5. Motor mount plates -double in front and different shape at rear
              6. Extension shaft for magneto
              7. Cam cover
              8. Oil pump
              9. Cylinders
              10. Heads
              11. Oil tank
              12. Gas tanks
              13. Seat ( made by Messinger “terry type”)
              14. Tapered pinion pin ( not sure if that was special, since late model 741 used the same)
              15. Bonneville cams and lifters (not sure if that was special either or of the shelf?)
              16. Exhaust
              17. Special valve spring collar (?)
              18. Oil lines
              19. Magneto mount

There are a few more parts that were special made, I believe. Parts were also sorted as - gas tank left, gas tank right, motor mount rear left, motor mount rear right. That would probably put it close to 50 parts. Art Delor lives down the street from me. He no longer has his yellow big base.

Comment

Working...
              X