Transmission mouting plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission mouting plate

Frame back from powder and glad I chose semi-gloss, still has plenty of gloss to it. Anyway starting to assemble (this will be a slow process), also had transmission mounting plate powder coated at same time and wanted to know if I need to remove some of the paint at the mounting points (frame has those points bare for engine and transmission mounting plate) where it contacts the frame?
    Attached Files

Powder coat sucks, end of story...
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I get that plate should be parkerized if restoration, but plate was previously painted when I got it and this seemed like the best option for me. If having a painted transmission plate is mechanically a bad idea than I could look for a replacement, likely aftermarket one that is parkerized. Can I use this plate or should I replace?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
        Powder coat sucks, end of story...
        But, but,.. but...

Its "Period Custom" for the 'Nineties!

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-28-2020, 10:01 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten, can I use the mounting plate as is (powder coated)? Besides correctness I just want to make sure that having paint on the mounting points where it will attach to the frame and where the transmission will attach to plate. If I'm asking for trouble than I did find a US make aftermarket mount parkerized for $60.00 that I'm ready to purchase.

Comment

I would remove the powder from any areas where it is bolted to something. The powder will eventually crumble there.

Comment

Originally posted by lrcormier View Post
              Cotten, can I use the mounting plate as is (powder coated)? Besides correctness I just want to make sure that having paint on the mounting points where it will attach to the frame and where the transmission will attach to plate. If I'm asking for trouble than I did find a US make aftermarket mount parkerized for $60.00 that I'm ready to purchase.
              I'spose you could always paint-stripper it, Lrcormier!

(Back in 2010, I would just put it in my local P4gas. It cost twice as much then, but three times as digestive.)

Then either re-park it, or fake it.

Come to think of it, anything but the original finish is fake anyway.

...Cotten
              PS: My #4 reply was a joke, Folks;
              Sorry, I refuse to use emoticons.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-28-2020, 12:40 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I've found that the best product for removing powder coating is 'Rock Miracle'. Once the coating is removed, you can buy the Parkerizing chemical and Parkerize it yourself quire easily.
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

The cheapest paint remover at The Home Despot will remove powder coat. Regardless, that trans mounting plate will visually (virtually) disappear once it's under the transmission, and it's not a big deal if it's not a metal to metal contact; better if is, but not a huge problem if it isn't. Some people love powder coat, but vintage motorcycles should be painted. Originally, H-Ds were gloss black enamel, but time takes it's toll on shiney things. Many people think H-D used a dull black (probably because original Pohlman photos required the bikes be de-glossed for the art department to make the photos presentable for advertising copy.} I think you should build your bike the way you want it, and to your own vision. If something is wrong; you'll find out Every motorcycle is a work in progress, and no one gets them perfect the first time around.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've learned a lot of people hate powder coat, I get it, not original. Had I done some homework first i would not of gotten the transmission mount plate powder coated, mainly because like the engine you want the mounting metal to metal so nothing compromises the tightness. With this in mind my plan is to remove the powder from the areas that need metal to metal contact. And like someone mentioned once installed and all together it will be barely visible. I do have a vision of what i would like the bike to look like when complete, to most untrained eyes it will look very much original, but not a true restoration.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've learned a lot of people hate powder coat, I get it, not original. Had I done some homework first i would not of gotten the transmission mount plate powder coated, mainly because like the engine you want the mounting metal to metal so nothing compromises the tightness. With this in mind my plan is to remove the powder from the areas that need metal to metal contact. And like someone mentioned once installed and all together it will be barely visible. I do have a vision of what i would like the bike to look like when complete, to most untrained eyes it will look very much original, but not a true restoration.
                      A great attitude and reasonable approach. It's your bike and your vision. Sounds like you're enjoying the process! THATS the true purpose!
                      Bill Pedalino
                      Huntington, New York
                      AMCA 6755

Comment

Powder is just paint in powder form. The advantage is simplicity. A part such as a transmission plate can go from rust to ready to install in about 1/2 hour regardless of temperature or humidity.

Comment

Remember that the tranny needs to be able to slide back and forth for proper chain adjustments so the areas where the slots are need to be able to move the tranny with out binding. If you remove all the powder coating and parkerize it I think you will be in better shape but you do what you want and think best.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                          AMCA #12766

Comment

Working...
                          X