741 Help Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 741 Help Please.

Recently acquired 1941 Engine and Transmission.
    Issue:
    Shift lever bell crank was with parts but not attached.
    Transmission Shifter Fork Bell Crank seems to be "stuck" in one position:
    Please see pictures:

Also transmission shift fork bell crank seems to be missing key.

Thanks for any help or advice.
    Attached Files

I believe the bellcrank pinch bolt is you shaft key. However, that bolt should have a plain (un-threaded) shank that mates with the milled (radiused) fork shaft that you show. That bolt is proprietary to that application so it should be threaded to the right length, and heat treated to some degree of toughness. There isn't anything super critical about any of that, but the bolt is important, and should be made to fit that application.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

If you dont have a manual yet check out jerrygreers indian website and look at the trans and shift linkage sections for you 741.
      Like Eric said,a special bolt,but also a key.
      Tom

Comment

The key slot is probably out of the picture. Like Tom said, a woodruff key would be good engineering, and prudent
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. A manual actually came with the engine and transmission (but I down loaded a copy from our library to read on the computer anyway) I can enlarge text on the computer which makes it easier
          to read with aging eyes). There is a slot for a key on the milled fork shaft I can feel it. When I install the shift lever bell crank even with the pinch bolt tightened the bell crank just rotates on the shifter fork shaft. So that little key is well . . . KEY. Hopefully when I get a key and the shift lever bell crank on properly I will be able to move the transmission into neutral.

Comment

Paul, ran into this a while back: https://www.roadtripsaroundtheworld....erhaul-part-1/
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

THANKS A TON PISTEN!!!!
              Really AMAZING article.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X