Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best most reliable charging setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best most reliable charging setup?

I'm looking for the most reliable charging setup that looks as origional as possible. I want to hear from someone who has put carefree miles on it lol. PLEASE HELP!!!

Originally posted by Sidehacker View Post
    I'm looking for the most reliable charging setup that looks as origional as possible. I want to hear from someone who has put carefree miles on it lol. PLEASE HELP!!!
    For a Chief, Scout, or Four, please consult IndianFrank@yahoo.com, Sidehacker!

I leave it to others, if its a Brit Bike, or any other import...

Good luck with ebay!

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-24-2020, 02:43 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The important question is; what kind of bike?
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

For some reason that info did not come up. I should proof read. It's a 1945 UL with side car about 90 to 95 percent is origional. Sorry that was pretty lame.
        Sidehacker

Comment

No problem, Sidehacker. I am looking at the same electrical issues myself and want to make my H-Ds idiot proof (me being the idiot). My current solution is to have a few new 6V batteries in stock and ready to be filled and charged. 6V was the standard for many years and I think a well maintained stock system can still be reliable, and made even better with modern solid state regulators. There are many skilled craftspeople out there in our hobby that are working to bring these old systems into the 21 century by making more efficient charging components using current technology. That's all way over my head so I have been leaning on a friend who is much smarter than me. This forum has some brilliant members who can make this stuff understandable, but that wouldn't be me
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Howdy sir,

Search 32E two brush conversion, V Tronic electronic regulator and Shorai lithium iron battery on this and Classic American Iron’s forum and you’ll likely find your answer. I discarded that mechanical cutout and lead acid battery 9 years ago and have had thousands of carefree miles in all conditions since, never on a charger. The latest insurance to load reduction has been converting this machine entirely to LED’s enabling running headlight and spots with impunity in low rpm stop and go riding.
            Cheerio,
            Peter
            1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I was hoping you would post a reply, Peter. You are one of the people I was talking about.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Well thank you kind sir, I am most unworthy. So, under the old saying this changes everything, 6V LED’s as seen fitted to my 41Fl and 346. The HD lacking an ammeter the profoundness of this change is not as apparent as the nearly 30 years spent staring at those on my Indians....often hoping for the best late at night back in the day. I did this same conversion to my 346 so as to operate in your fair state for Bike Week with DRL’s required, with everything, spots and all, it bumps the ammeter almost undetectably. Two brush conversions/electronic reps/modern batteries are a vast improvement but you are still talking about a generator struggling to produce 10 amps at full output, often less than half that at suburban speeds and less if it gets hot. Many vintage sealed beams pull 4.5 on low leaving little margin.

Cheerio,
                Peter
                1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I tell you what I have read everything including the Canadian who will take your 32e and turn it into a 12 volt or a 2 brush 6 volt, and if everything is equal and no one can tell I guess twelve volt would allow a few extra goodies hidden in sidehack and 12v crap is much easier to get . Now one las question does any one know where I can get an online voltge reducer so I can still use my very expensive horn. I like the idea of using the stock generator unless someone has done it and had problems.
                  Sidehacker
                  Last edited by Sidehacker; 04-26-2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X