1953 Foot Sifter Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Foot Sifter Questions

I thought that I had the correct foot shift lever and bracket for my 1953 FLE, but looking at the parts book it appears not. The 1949 to 1957 (orange) parts catalog, page 41 shows the 33660-52 foot shift lever as a 2-year only item which has splined shafts front and back rather than smooth. Also, according to the parts listing, the 1952 and 1953 bikes were only available with a heel-toe shift setup, which included the 34692-52 heel lever. Could it be true that the toe-only shift setup wasn't available in 1952 and 1953?

If the above is accurate, I will need the correct shift lever (33660-52) and the correct heel lever (34692-52). Also, if the shift lever is indeed splined, I'll need the mating 34606-52 foot shift lever as well, as it would also be splined. If anyone has these parts for sale or trade, kindly let me know.

Finally, before I strip my newly plated 33630-52 shifter bracket, can anyone please confirm that they were Parkerized in 1953 and not Cadmium-plated, as stated in Bruce Palmer's book?

Thanks and STAY WELL!
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

The heel lever was always an accessory, never stock even in any equipment group. And the footshifter bracket was always Parkerized, just as it states in Palmer's books. The heel lever in the '53 accessory catalog.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rubone; 04-23-2020, 03:55 PM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you (again) Robbie.

I didn't think that was the case. However, the parts book appears to be a bit misleading as it shows the 33660-52 shifter lever as correct for 1952 and 1953 only and the 33660-54 lever starting in 1954. For the early toe-only setup, I only remember only the -54 style, but maybe there are subtle differences between the -54 and the -52 levers that I'm unaware of.

My suspicion is that the -54 toe-only lever actually may have been initiated in 1952 in lieu of the heel/toe setup, but not correctly depicted in the book. Am I incorrect?
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Many times a new part design was phased in during production, not waiting for the next model year to bring it out. If your '53 is a high number it could be correct.
        Always use the parts book for the exact year you are working on. The '57 book shows what they were selling in '57.
        Last edited by Chris Haynes; 04-25-2020, 12:29 PM.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Although the levers look the same externally, the difference is the splines on the shaft, removed from '54 up to prevent damage to the transmission when used roughly. The lever could slip before breakage occurred. The levers were common throughout the line used by BTs, K-Models, and Lightweights with the change occurring simultaneously.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            Although the levers look the same externally, the difference is the splines on the shaft, removed from '54 up to prevent damage to the transmission when used roughly. The lever could slip before breakage occurred. The levers were common throughout the line used by BTs, K-Models, and Lightweights with the change occurring simultaneously.
            Yes, that makes sense. I'm aware of the splined shafts on K-Models. From the artist's rendering in the parts book it looks like the panhead shaft is splined. Now I have the new problem of finding both splined levers. I suspect that this will be difficult considering that they were 2-year items. Ya gotta love this stuff to be in it!

If anyone has either or both of these items for sale or trade, please let me know.

Thanks
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Your mail box is full!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                Many times a new part design was phased in during production, not waiting for the next model year to bring it out. If your '53 is a high number it could be correct.
                Always use the parts book for the exact year you are working on. The '57 book shows what they were selling in '57.
                Chris,
                Yes,you're right- and I agree. But difficult to find a parts book for the exact year for all 8 bikes that I have!
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by pan620 View Post
                  Your mail box is full!
                  I just figured out how to empty it!
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

Parts books are great but do have their shortcomings. Some of which are old illustrations not showing the newest part, missing parts on rare occasions, many accessories in accessory catalogs only and not in the parts books, and also parts books not printed every year. The supplements to them show the newly introduced part numbers but were not illustrated. The price lists help as they show when parts were added or dropped from H-D inventory. Sales orders help as they show what was intended for a certain year, and sometimes mid year revisions reveal changes. Dealer introduction bulletins help as well but sometimes show a change intended but never introduced as they were always printed pre-production. They all work in conjunction to help eliminate the mysteries though. Also Shop Dopes and Dealer letters. Lots of items to deal with.

Knucklehead parts books were printed in 36,37,38,39,40,41,45. No Supplements
                    Panhead books were printed in 48,49,50,51,54,56,57,58,61, and 65. Supplements in 52,55,59-60, 62-64.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
                      Chris,
                      Yes,you're right- and I agree. But difficult to find a parts book for the exact year for all 8 bikes that I have!
                      I have managed to find original and reproduction parts books from 1930-1980 on eBay. All appear irregularly, with the exception of the 1938 that Robbie is searching for. I have at least 50 of them. I wish I had a bike for each of them. :-) Supplements are a bit harder to find but they do appear. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...talog&_sacat=0
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                        I have managed to find original and reproduction parts books from 1930-1980 on eBay. All appear irregularly, with the exception of the 1938 that Robbie is searching for. I have at least 50 of them. I wish I had a bike for each of them. :-) Supplements are a bit harder to find but they do appear. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...talog&_sacat=0
                        Chris,
                        I've started keeping an eye out on eBay, but you're correct- the important ones have become quire scarce and my old,original books are really worn out. As a capitalist, I believe in supply and demand. But some of the OEM parts books on eBay are horrendously priced! But if I found one for the exact year of one of my bikes (which I do have for my 1970 Sportster), I would belly-up to the bar and buy it.

Robbie,
                        I've been involved in writing a database of all of my spare parts - about 2,000 lbs of parts. I've acquired some of this stuff since my 20's and I'm now 70 - so as one might imagine, my memory of some of these parts is a bit fuzzy. I recognize them, but I'll be darned if I can place them or find them in the catalogs!

I'm striving for accuracy so I'm entering each part by description,part number,,condition, etc. Its taken about 4 months now and I'm at the 90% point. I knew that the research in identifying certain parts would be a chore, but I had no idea how much time it would take! I've used some of the resources that you've so methodically listed, although I don't have access to some of the 2nd level publications that you show, and that were common-place when I worked at dealerships when I was young. Having that access would have been a great help!
                        Last edited by billpedalino; 04-28-2020, 04:03 PM.
                        Bill Pedalino
                        Huntington, New York
                        AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill,
                          All the items I mentioned I have in my collection. If you have something you cannot identify ask me if you like.
                          Robbie
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                            Bill,
                            All the items I mentioned I have in my collection. If you have something you cannot identify ask me if you like.
                            Robbie
                            That's very generous!
                            I have a box of 'unknowns' - mostly small parts. When I'm through the process I'll take some pictures and trickle them to you for comment, it that works for you.
                            Bill Pedalino
                            Huntington, New York
                            AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by pan620 View Post
                              Your mail box is full!
                              I think 've successfully emptied my mail box and responded back to you. Please let me now if you haven't received my response.
                              Bill Pedalino
                              Huntington, New York
                              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                              X