charging batteries in parallel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging batteries in parallel

Have multiple 6 and 12 volt batteries and 2 battery tenders, one 6 volt and one 12 volt. Got crazy bored the other day, and made a harness to link three 6 volt batteries in parallel, then hooked the 6 volt tender up with the pos. clamp to the pos. terminal of battery #1, and the neg. clamp to the neg. terminal of battery #3. After 24 hours, the green light came on on the tender, and the batteries all read 6.67 volts. Any wire heads out there that can tell me whether I'm off my nut, or should this work to maintain the float charge of all three batteries?

Looks like you've got it bang on.

https://www.batteryweb.com/batterymi...-batteries.cfm

Comment

Many thanks Peter. I saved the link so I can call these people and clarify a couple things, like how to hook the charger up and if it matters if the batteries are of different amp hour ratings. I mention hooking up the charger 'cause they show the charger hooked across one battery. I'm thinkin' that the way I've got it hooked up (positive to first battery, negative to last battery) would probably accomplish the same thing. In any event, I did chat with a Battery Tender tech online yesterday, and she as much as told me it couldn't be done. I wonder if that's because they sell multiple station chargers and they don't want to cut into their retail sales?!

Comment

As I remember it:
        Parallel retains the voltage and divides the amperage among the clients (batteries, bulbs, motors), series retains the amperage and divides the voltage.
        The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
          As I remember it:
          Parallel retains the voltage and divides the amperage among the clients (batteries, bulbs, motors), series retains the amperage and divides the voltage.
          Connected in parallel retains the same voltage, series adds the votages.

Comment

Howdy chaps,

As discussed here prior, with the proliferation of modern “starter” batteries having no storage capacity (which we need with our old charging systems not duty cycling as frequently as alternators) I have been running pairs of Shorais in parallel for 9 years now on four different machines to provide more discharge amp hour protection. Below is the Indian application followed by an HD.

As my terminals to the machine pull off only one battery no need for setting a charger with the positive on the first and negative last. Also, the charger views this as one unit, no individual differentiation, make sure all your batteries in a string are healthy or odd one can ruin the others, not so much on lead acid but more sensitive LI’s.

Might add, that need for pulling pos off of one and neg off the other or last in the string is the arrangement needed when wiring in series.
            Last edited by PRG; 04-22-2020, 10:31 AM.
            Cheerio,
            Peter
            1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Never mind
              Last edited by kitabel; 04-23-2020, 07:38 AM.
              The Linkert Book

Comment

Working...
              X