1950 FL throttle / spark control cable inner wire reach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 FL throttle / spark control cable inner wire reach

I'm working on a 1950 FL. Can anyone tell me how far the inner cable is supposed to move linearly in relation to the outer cable when the twist grip is rotated from one direction to the other. I have a bit under 9/16" of linear movement which doesn't allow the carb butterfly to go from full closed to full open.

Steve Slaminko

Steve I do not know offhand what the measurement is but I can say from experience that on some non Linkert carburetors that HD's internal controls sometimes do not have enough travel.

Jerry

Originally posted by slamiste View Post
    I'm working on a 1950 FL. Can anyone tell me how far the inner cable is supposed to move linearly in relation to the outer cable when the twist grip is rotated from one direction to the other. I have a bit under 9/16" of linear movement which doesn't allow the carb butterfly to go from full closed to full open.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Let me add, Steve,..

The 27450-36 "wire block" should be in the throttlelever hole that is closest to the throttleshaft, when there are two holes.

Next, not only must the sheath coil be firmly secured (including at the collar and set screw in the handlebar; Beware of repops..), too much of it extending beyond the clamp can flex excessively, compounded by slop at the block, etc.

They can be a test of observation and patience, good luck!

....Cotten
      PS: Measurement? A skosh over full travel I 'spose.

PPS: Anybody know why some throttlelevers have two holes? A top-speed 'governor' for "fleet" vehicles, perhaps?
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-21-2020, 11:08 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

They generally move 7/8” which is more than enough for a timer or linkert. A Bendix is another story.

Comment

Working...
        X