Rear brake springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake springs

52 PAN HEAD MECHANICAL REAR BRAKE. I'm putting together my rear brake using OEM backing plate with repop drum and brake shoes, everything seems to fit well enough but confused about how many springs to use. I believe these brakes originally only used one spring on the cam end but have seen threads and youtube (tatro) were two springs get used. So is it just personal preference or is it now necessary to use two springs? It would seem only one is needed on the cam end with the pivot end being held securely in place with the cups.

All of my books and a quick internet search show two springs.
    If you do not have a shop manual for your bike, you should get one. It will save you much time and answer most of your questions.
    Good luck
    Fred
    Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

.Stop and think about this. The brake shoes on the pivot end are in cups to hold them in place. Therefore no spring is needed. The cam end spreads and therefore needs a spring to return them to the closed position. When in doubt refer to your GENUINE H-D PUBLICATION.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by lrcormier View Post
        52 PAN HEAD MECHANICAL REAR BRAKE. I'm putting together my rear brake using OEM backing plate with repop drum and brake shoes, everything seems to fit well enough but confused about how many springs to use. I believe these brakes originally only used one spring on the cam end but have seen threads and youtube (tatro) were two springs get used. So is it just personal preference or is it now necessary to use two springs? It would seem only one is needed on the cam end with the pivot end being held securely in place with the cups.
        In theory you should not have to put the second spring in if you are using the the 1938 and newer brake setup that utilizes 4058-38A and 4058-38B. However a couple of times I have been able to eliminate rear brake 'chatter' by putting the spring in.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks Chris. I also just carefully reviewed the service manual (48-57), parts manual (41-54) and Palmer's second addition and everything confirms that 38-57 big twins only use one lower spring. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something when I seen some folks document on forums and one youtube I watched where two springs are used. i suppose there is no harm in putting an additional spring near the pivot end, but I would think it would also make braking just a little harder. Being a NAVY tech for 30 years I should of known not to question documentation.

Comment

Please do not think the guy you mentioned on the You Tube is a expert.

Comment

Working...
            X