2 brush conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 brush conversion question

Hello all, I have a question about converting my 32e from 3 to 2 brush, I know I can simply change the field coil wiring keeping the existing field coils, I have a couple sets of 2 brush 6 volt coils on hand. My question is which would be better? Will the existing coils work well or should I use the later coils? Thanks in advance

This attachment is the best I can do, 65FLH!

Electrics confound me, but I know the worst scenario is recharging a dead battery by running the machine. Then it is the armature that suffers more than the fields.

Hope this helps,...

...Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-17-2020, 12:42 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Tom, that diagram is a lot easier to follow than what I have. I don't think the shop dope shows the regulator wiring. I am going to test the coils that are in it and use them. I don't like replacing them unless I have to. They are a pain to fit with the exhaust expander.This bike only gets ridden locally it's a 48 fl. I just got the vtronic voltage regulator today.

Comment

You might only ride it locally, 65FLH,...

But please build it for the long haul anyway!

...Cotten
        PS: Wish I remembered exactly where I scanned it, but probably Chuck's 'Kicks-Start Motorcycle Parts' catalog.
        It was a lot easier to read before I uploaded it.)
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-17-2020, 02:59 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Howdy sir,

First off, if your field coils are healthy with no obvious signs of insulation deterioration I’d use them as opposed to the rigors of shaping new ones and getting the pole shoes seated without damage.

Now, as this post may serve as reference for someone doing the same in the future without your knowledge base, a little more expansive explanation. Unlike an Autolite used on Indians a 32E is a nifty piece of kit and essentially a two stage charging device. With ignition on your cutout activates the smaller field coil which in turn has generator output controlled by the third brush. When switching on your lights the larger shunt coil is employed to bump up output. This one’s resulting output is not regulated. When converting to two brush as you will see with the two images at my site below side by side for comparison that your generator terminals change roles. Whereas in third brush configuration one powered the regulating coil and the other the shunt coil, now one is used for the ground side of the field coils and the other for the armature brush which now has both positive sides of the field coils paired to it. As illustrated and explained there, I converted to two brush using the excellent the VTronic. Then, with the former light switch/shunt coil wire freed up, for a more stock appearance moved this wire to the ignition-on terminal at the switch and routed it to the underside of the timer to power my quick start 2000 electronic regulator.

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...41FL/i-r8VbWXZ
          Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

The insulation was in very bad shape, I ended up replacing my field coils as I had 2 extra set on hand. I put the armature on the growler while I had it apart and replaced bearings should be go to go when I get it back on thanks for all the replies-Terry

Comment

Originally posted by 65flh View Post
              The insulation was in very bad shape, I ended up replacing my field coils as I had 2 extra set on hand. I put the armature on the growler while I had it apart and replaced bearings should be go to go when I get it back on thanks for all the replies-Terry
              If I didn't find a short, Terry,..

Most I just solvent-washed thoroughly, dried, and soaked the fields with Glyptal, as well as the armature wires, etc.

It was always all about the bench test.

That was a couple of decades ago, but I still have three 65As wrapped and ready to go on the shelf.
              (My wine rack of three-brushes and unique models are not in "inventory", however available anyway!)

....Cotten
              PS: My generator test-bench has a high-torque variable-speed motor from a hospitable bed. Or so I was told.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-18-2020, 03:49 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

I like to hoard generators I have 2 model 65's on the shelf but I run a cycle electric on my 65 with the original delco regulator, I have model 51 I'll get around to one of these days.i collect those old sun vats to set adjust the regulators. This one motors good but I got to go to the hardware store for a roll pin for the gear. Any idea what size?

Comment

Just a quick update, did 2 brush conversion put on the vtronic. Works great 6.7 at the battery light on or off, seems like it woke my battery up? Over night used to be 6.1-6.2. Now sitting overnight the battery reads 6.5-6.7

Comment

Howdy sir,

Don’t know what battery type you’re using but with a VTronic you now have modern regulation technology with that 2 brush that enables your old generator to more efficiently provide output (with less sapping heat) to gel’s, AGM,s and especially lithium irons to your standby voltage levels like this and operating voltages underway up to 7.2v or so. Old LA batteries generally fell into the 2.1V per cell fully charged standby voltage range after regular service in use as any deep DOD (depth of discharge) along the way below 60% or so can start to damage their return capacity.
                    Cheerio,
                    Peter
                    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I know I'm bucking the trend here and am no expert on anything but I still use the stock set up on all my bikes whether they are two or three brush genny's and only one has an electronic relay and get my H-2 batteries from HD at $75 per and as long as I do some normal maintenance I have no issues. For me KISS. I do pull batteries occasionally and top off the fluid and clean the posts and reattach cables and keep them on tenders when not riding. I have not had any issues in doing things this way. Batteries have service life and when they are done they are done and so far have not tried to revive them but I do have a stack of them to try some day but as long as HD still sells them I keep a few on the shelf to use as needed. Keep one in the trailer just in case for Road Runs or in case someone else needs one. I have not had issues so far and been doing this for many, many years this way and never had an issue on any of the Road Runs where your bike is tested pretty well and any problems usually show up pretty quickly. To each his own, but for me at least, the stock set-up, when maintained has proven reliable. I have spare rebuilt genny's on the shelf just in case but have not had to pull any off yet. Just my experience.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                      AMCA #12766

Comment

Working...
                      X