Axle Spacers on a 36 VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Spacers on a 36 VL

I have just finished rebuilding both the front and rear wheels, brakes, hubs, etc for my project. Unfortunately, there is no way that the axle spacers will ever fit. When I put the wheels in the frame, there was virtually no room left for the spacers. Has someone any experience with this, and what should I be looking at to figure this out.

Thanks
    Foster

First check you have the right spacers. The long one is around 1 3/8" long and the short one 11/16". The long one is meant to be the same length as the Corbin hub drive, and replaced by that drive, so don't fit both. Distance between the inside rear axle plates is about 8.75", but hard to measure on my completed bike. I've had this problem before where someone has used wrong spacers and nipped up the frame. It can be pushed out with a car jack from inside. Other things to look out for are rear brake drum steady not inserted correctly in left rear frame tab, and rear wheel hub not bottomed out on brake drum splines.

Comment

if you own a VL you need Steve Slocombs book!

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for your prompt response. I do have exactly 8.75 inches between the axle plates, and the brake drum steady is inserted correctly. The overall distance from the face of the Corbin head to the brake is 8.5 inches, so there is not really enough room for the spacer. I do have the smaller rear spacer on order. I am gong to double check the splines today, and hopefully get this solved.

Thanks
        Foster

Comment

Thanks I have the book and have been using it faithfully.

Comment

Working...
          X