47 Knucklehead spark advance difficult to move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 Knucklehead spark advance difficult to move

I replaced the spark advance wire in my 47 Knucklehead and now it moves nice and smooth but the distributor is very difficult to turn is that something I can pull out of the bike and clean up or would that be something best left to an expert? Or perhaps there is a lube hole I need to address before I pull it out.
    Any suggestions, thank you.
    Joe

Joe I would leave the timer base in the engine. Pull the point plate off and see what the problem is. Sometimes it is rust and corrosion on the out edge of the base or underneath of the point plate. I have actually found metal burrs on the base and have used a small fine file to remove or emery paper. I have also found the point plate egg shaped or bent from a not to careful former mechanic.

Jerry

Originally posted by Joseph Mangelos View Post
    I replaced the spark advance wire in my 47 Knucklehead and now it moves nice and smooth but the distributor is very difficult to turn is that something I can pull out of the bike and clean up or would that be something best left to an expert? Or perhaps there is a lube hole I need to address before I pull it out.
    Any suggestions, thank you.
    Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
      Joe I would leave the timer base in the engine. Pull the point plate off and see what the problem is. Sometimes it is rust and corrosion on the out edge of the base or underneath of the point plate. I have actually found metal burrs on the base and have used a small fine file to remove or emery paper. I have also found the point plate egg shaped or bent from a not to careful former mechanic.

Jerry
      Thank you that’s comforting to know I don’t have to pull the base. Is the point plate held in by screws that I can access from the top? Also is there some kind of book or books I should acquire to help with maintaining my bike?

Comment

It is all held together with the wire bail over the top and a spring plate underneath. It needs to be reassembled the right way with the ears of the bail captive in the plate formed grooves and the opening set as to not interfere.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          It is all held together with the wire bail over the top and a spring plate underneath. It needs to be reassembled the right way with the ears of the bail captive in the plate formed grooves and the opening set as to not interfere.
          I pulled the bail and cap off and looking from the bottom up l see a plate with what could be a flat spring under it. Is that what you are talking about, and how do l pull it off?

Comment

If the bail is off the top will come off and the flat spring will fall loose. Spray penetrant up inside the inside edge of the top, it will likely be gummed up. Just wiggle it and pull straight up. Disconnect the timer cable but don't loosen the stud or your timing will be lost.
            Last edited by Rubone; 04-16-2020, 11:54 PM.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
            X