My lucky day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My lucky day

It felt just fine turning it over by hand. But when I split the crank cases this is what I found. Everything except the sprocket shaft was loose. I'd hate to think how my case halves would look now if I'd tried to run it!

Flywheels.jpg

It pays to seek insurance most of the time and this it certainly paid off for you.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if I was wasting time & money sending my 69 bottom out. It’s new to me. Seeing your pic makes me glad. (That I sent mine)

Comment

It looks more like the crankpin, Peter!

Worn flywheel tapers will occasionally allow the wheels to pull tight against the female rod (with excessive endplay on the outside), and perhaps the builder chose not to torque it tight enough.

(Back in the '90s, I commissioned over-length -41 JIMS pins for such circumstances; I shall never be able to use them, so they are available!.)

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-17-2020, 12:16 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank Tom. That's a good point and I'll check it out after I've cleaned everything. I just assumed it'd been thrown back together and not tightened correctly as the nuts were way loose and the lock washers were missing. The female conrod was also in the rear so it's definitely been apart before.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcadams View Post
            Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if I was wasting time & money sending my 69 bottom out. It’s new to me. Seeing your pic makes me glad. (That I sent mine)
            This should help then. It appears it was running with the shafts loose. Minor damage to the front cylinder baffle and a good deal of hammering on the flywheel tapers.
            Right Front Baffle.jpg

Right Front Baffle1.jpg

Right Front Baffle2.jpg

Righthand Flywheel.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X