Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion races

Hi. Hope everyone is well.
    I have a couple of NOS pinion races which were an impulse purchase from ebay some years ago. Might have been from easyruss who I liked buying from.
    All external dimensions are same as 1940-54 BT over head valve pinion race, except the ID which is 1 3/8” instead of 1 ˝”.
    I had a browes through the parts and service manuals, and the Jims part manual, but couldn’t see any reference to inside dimensions.
    I have never worked on a BT side valve, so I am wondering if these might be the pinion races for that style engine?
    Hoping some of you part savants might be able to clear this up.
    Regards Steve
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Sounds like they are for '55-'57 models. Any snap ring grooves in them? There are a couple different types, a '54 only and '55-'57, but all share the same ID. They used a 3/16 diameter roller set, the '55 up is the same set as a Sportster or K-Model. They are shown in Shop Dopes and some of the Panhead service manuals. The '55-'57 pinion shaft uses the same gears as a '58 up, keyed oil pump drive and taper fit pinion with a nut.

BT sidevalve uses the same stuff as a Knuckle or early Pan.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hi Robbie. Thanks for the information.
      No circlip grooves. It has the later style grub screw recesses in both sides. Maybe unfinished stock??

P4150001.jpg
      Steve Little
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Strike my last comment "unfinshed stock?" These are hardened and they wouldn't do that with an 1/8" still needed to come out.
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

Hi Robbie. Sorry. I'm a bit slow today. Are you tagging these as 55-57? OEM 24599-55. Regards Steve
          Steve Little
          Australia.
          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
            Hi Robbie. Sorry. I'm a bit slow today. Are you tagging these as 55-57? OEM 24599-55. Regards Steve
            Yes, I am.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

While on the subject of the pinion area; should the oil pump drive gear be a slip fit, or light press fit on the splined pinion shaft for a '48FL? I've already made a puller, and pusher for the OPDG, and pinion gear, but wondering if the OPDG needs to float a bit on the shaft. I have looked through my books, and missed that bit of info. Thanks in advance for enlightened advice.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

The early splined shafts were a slip fit, which proved to be a bit noisier. From '51 up the splines were enlarged slightly to create a press fit. Those shafts had a reverse threaded end with an appropriate screw to plug them enabling a puller to be used for installation and extraction. They were a retro-fit part that could be used for any earlier Big Twin.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

You're a gem, Robbie. My oil pump drive gear goes on with some effort so I guess the spring in that assembly is somewhat superfluous. I'll use the puller/pusher tools because I'm not going to disturb the pinion location after busting a nut truing the flywheels. Thanks again, Robbie, most appreciated.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                    Yes, I am.
                    Thanks Robbie.
                    Steve Little
                    Australia.
                    AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...