No announcement yet.

And now for something completely different: A 1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador V750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally, if you've made it this far . . . here's a little video of Anne Margaret and a loop frame Guzzi to get you thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jAb0kWJHxY

Fast forward to the 1:10 mark . . .just saying :-)

Comment

two things you did a get job I have all ways liked this early Guzzi . but Anne Margaret wild child yer baby

Comment

Thanks for this Steve,

I worked on nothing but old Harley and Indians for years when my youngest son brought home a early V700 Guzzi in just awful condition. The motor was stuck and everything was a rusty mess. One of my Harley buddies was at the house when he brought it home. He said there was no way that bike would ever go down the road on it's own power again. So with those encouraging words we did pretty much what you described in your build. For the first time since he was a teen we actually worked well together and it surprised us both when it actually started and ran down the road without problems. I was quite impressed with the build quality as you were. Here's a photo of our end result.

DSCN0061.jpg

Comment

I'm a big fan of these bikes and bought a 1970 Ambassador at Oley, probably in 2006. It was restored in the Club, painted red, and I donated it as a Road Run bike for overseas visitors. The logistics of keeping it titled and insured, plus hauling it to Meets, became too much and it was sold. But here's me in July 2007 putting on some break-in miles and having a blast. I remember it as a bike anyone could just walk up to and ride safely. Electric start, easy foot shift, decent performance, good handling and brakes, what's not to like?
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting, good read with coffee.

Comment

Nice work! The 700s are fun! I love that you kept the right shift, I think the bike likes it better.

How bad was your four speed whine?! It's something only pre1970 guys have heard on guzzis.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                I'm a big fan of these bikes and bought a 1970 Ambassador at Oley, probably in 2006. It was restored in the Club, painted red, and I donated it as a Road Run bike for overseas visitors. The logistics of keeping it titled and insured, plus hauling it to Meets, became too much and it was sold. But here's me in July 2007 putting on some break-in miles and having a blast. I remember it as a bike anyone could just walk up to and ride safely. Electric start, easy foot shift, decent performance, good handling and brakes, what's not to like?

That is lovely.

What a treat for the lucky bugger that drew the straw on the road run!

Comment

Originally posted by hairynob24 View Post
                  two things you did a get job I have all ways liked this early Guzzi . but Anne Margaret wild child yer baby
                  She, along with Gina Lollabridgida, are amongst my favorite "forgotten" sirens. The fact Anne Margaret is an actual rider just puts that little extra cherry.

Comment

As for the 4th gear whine on a V700. I didn't ride the bike much but I don't remember the gear whine being excessive in 4th gear. All the gears had a satisfying whine that reminded me of my old hot rod 57 Chevy with the gear drive timing system I installed in place of the stock chain drive. Love the whine!

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Originally posted by slamiste View Post
                      As for the 4th gear whine on a V700. I didn't ride the bike much but I don't remember the gear whine being excessive in 4th gear. All the gears had a satisfying whine that reminded me of my old hot rod 57 Chevy with the gear drive timing system I installed in place of the stock chain drive. Love the whine!

Steve Slaminko

Nope, that's about the noise. The early bikes, which include the 700s and some early 750s, had straight cut transmissions. In the first part of '69 these were swapped to helical gears. Mine should have a helical box, but it has a straightbcut. It's satisfying, though it took me a few years to get used to the noise. When I added the screen, it really amplified the noise and I feel like I gave a supercharger! Guys who have the later boxes don't experience it, and five speeds rarely make noise. My SP is at 160k miles and I can hear the timing chain much more than the transmission!

Comment

Wow chuck, impressive, thanks for posting. About 20yrs ago i had a 1970 lapd ambassador, wish i would not have sold it, rode really great

Comment

I mentioned I pulled the bucos off the Ambassador but left the windscreen on. Here's what it looks like in that trim and compared to my '59 sportster.

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_4777.jpg

Comment

Long story made short; I may have "accidentally" run the rear drive without lube for an extended period of time. The gears "may" have gotten toasty :-)

So, about 5-6 weeks ago I installed a spare set of 8/35 gears -- the correct gears for this bike. I had been running around on 7/33 gears; which are a solid 7% shorter than the correct set.

The correct gear set totally transformed the bike. I've since piled on 800 miles and grinned the whole way. It's just that much nicer to cruise at 55-60mph and much better behaved around town. Gas mileage is the same as I'm still running the same rpm -- I'm just rolling 6-8 mph faster in each gear.

Comment

Working...
                            X