Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

48 Panhead – Inner Primary Chain Guard Drain pipe routing (60546-36)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Panhead – Inner Primary Chain Guard Drain pipe routing (60546-36)

Hi Guys

I mounted the nipple for the above in the chain guard, at the correct place (I think), but on the rebuild, I find that the pipe obstructs the rear brake rod – see image. I have it pointing straight out of the case.

I can’t find any reference to this in the service manual or Palmers.

I assume the pipe should be routed below the brake rod and then it bends to the rear and exits between the two frame plates.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Greg

IMG_3479 (3).JPG
    Last edited by harleygreg; 04-11-2020, 03:51 PM.

The nipple is mounted at a slight angle down so the pipe when installed is below the brake rod. You are correct on the routing of the pipe.

Comment

Did that primary case pipe actually oil the rear chain? H-D sold a real rear chain oiler that came off the oil pump and was controlled by a needle valve. Just wondering, although correctness is important too so I understand the inquiry.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

IIRC, 45s had the rear chain needle valve on the bottom plate of the oil return pump, but not the oil pump on the Big Twins. Same part, sans outlet and needle valve. I think the Big Twin's twin-downtube frame might have been in the way.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Eric, the primary pipe in question did not oil the rear chain. It directed the primary chain oil to atmosphere via gravity just in front of the right side of the rear tire. The oil exits at a lower point than the location of the rear chain. If the pipe were plumbed to attempt to oil the rear chain, the primary would fill with oil to the level of the attempted rear chain oiling level and possibly contaminate the clutch disc. By design, the fitting on the primary is lower than the rear chain.

Comment

My primary pipe oils my rear tire white wall.
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Just wondering; I've never had a problem with oil getting on everything behind front tire
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                Just wondering; I've never had a problem with oil getting on everything behind front tire
                Thanks guys - all sorted

Comment

Working...
                X