No announcement yet.

Linkert M741-1 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while waiting for a reamer that I ordered to arrive, I tried out the new reproduction bowl for fit. Nice bowl, but it didn't sit flat against the base:

Maybe it was cast a little too thick? But the bowl was hitting the carburetor casting where the lower bushing for the throttle shaft is:

Rather than alter the bowl, and because it wouldn't take removing very much material, I decided to use the Dremel and remove just a little from the carburetor casting to allow the bowl to sit flat:

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I can't really tell the important details, Harry,..

But it looks more "real" than a TEDD/eBay offering.
      (Personally, I would re-texture it. Like a signature.)

I usually ground the top to 'flat' first, and then chucked it up square to skim the bowlnut and floatvalve decks on the bottom.
      (Schebler shown in attachment.)

It used to take fifteen minutes ($15), but if I ever take any more work, I'll charge post-pandemic price!

....Cotten
      PS: Can you caliper from the top of the bowl deck to the centerline of the pivot screw?
      It should be about a half an inch, or it messes with the geometry. Some of the Euro reproductions missed by a kilometer.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-26-2020, 02:09 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I'm enjoying this. Thanks for taking the time to document it, Harry!

Dale

Comment

Dale, with my abysmal batting average on carburetor rebuilds (I almost burned down my '55 Dodge Power Wagon once!) I'm glad to have any input that comes my way... so it's sort of a self-serving thing to document this ;-)

And with Cotten following... what can go wrong... I really appreciate his help!

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post

And with Cotten following... what can go wrong... I really appreciate his help!
            Tom did my Powerplus carb. I could not be happier with it!

Dale

Comment

Your HS detente 'can go wrong', Harry, ...

Will be a test of patience to re-stake, as it lost so much meat around it.
              (Although I re-stake choke detentes as well, there is military literature somewhere that forgives that on the M741,)

I have had limited luck with over-size metric balls.

(There's a DLX 112 on my bench right now with a huge 3/16" ball stuck in it.
              They are too risky to stake, so may be forced to get creative.)

...Cotten
              PS: Thanks Dale!
              Those are more of a challenge.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-26-2020, 03:32 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

I think you take the best sequential, and pertinent pictures on any forum, Harry. I know how much work it is to document your progress, so thank you so much for that extra effort. What picture host are you using?
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

If you think the top of the bowl is too skewed to relieve 'by eyeball', Harry,..

Then a simple mandrel will allow you to lathe-cut the top more true to the bottom (attached).

The rest we used to relieve with a Buck Knife. Use'to...

....Cotten
                  PS: How do I post "sequential"?
                  (It came natural before the last forum update.)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-26-2020, 05:24 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    What picture host are you using?
                    Eric, I stuck with Photobucket, was kinda pissed when they took everyone hostage but I paid the subscription fee and it still works. Mostly I don’t have the time or patience to change, plus the way things go I figured if I switched then any new hosting site would eventually change their rules, too. It’s the “new economy”!

Comment

Its a helluva lot easier, and cheaper, Folks,...

To just upload to the forum directly.

Many of the photos that I post are ones I posted previously, and conveniently stored.

...Cotten
                      PS: Including this one!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-27-2020, 09:57 AM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

One-time use (maybe), made in India adjustable hand reamer on the throttle shaft bushings:

The shaft rotates freely but requires slight pressure with my thumb to get it in place, the shaft was .250 and I set the reamer at .251... but as I'm sure you've experienced with this type of reamer it's not always an exact science!

Comment

Whatever works, Harry!

The shafts are never perfectly straight (often bowed by the slotting and drilling), and the bushings are rarely if ever perfectly in line.

(Some are skewed from 'laying down', but most are from over-torquing the flange bolts. One more reason why I push them in on a rod to try to align them..)

Brushing out the top bolt hole threads is easier while the bushing is out; You can leave that gallery plug in place until after you grind the flange flat, I guess.

....Cotten
                          PS: Late edit.. Most modern bushings are already fatter than the shafts, and if installed gently, need little dressing at all.
                          I used plug gauges to sort large batches, and undersized bores are precious indeed!
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-29-2020, 04:20 PM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Decided my next step would be installing the nozzle and venturi. The new nozzle didn't slide in freely so I did some passes with a small wire brush until I could get the nozzle in without forcing. Then I blew out all passages again:

The venturi slides in easily enough and once in it won't fall out. Lined up the hole for the nozzle and put the nozzle in place. Unfortunately for me I did not have the spring that retains the nozzle in my parts order (my fault...sheesh) so I'll just park the carburetor for a while upside down until I can get the spring:

Comment

Before you begin final assembly, Harry,...

You aught to paint the body "aluminum lacquer".

....Cotten
                              PS: Its also prudent to brush out all galleries and threads, and then clean the idle bleed carefully.
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-02-2020, 08:58 AM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                                You aught to paint the body "aluminum lacquer"
                                Cotten I only ask because I don't know, lacquer for aesthetics only?

And I've run into something that confounds me, which is easy to do. The choke lever action doesn't match up with the carburetor air cover unless I install it reverse of what I think is correct. The air cover is stamped with the "Prime", or choke closed, at the top and "Open" at the bottom. But if I install the lever with the handle towards the rear of the carburetor then that action is reversed.... and the screw heads for the disc will show on the outside.

With the handle towards the outside of the motor the lever action matches the air cover, choke open:

choke closed:

It doesn't seem correct to me (except for the matching of cover to lever action) having the screw heads inside and the lever handle facing out, and it doesn't match my M344 either. Scratching my head here!

Comment

Working...
                                X