73 FLH Rear Wheel Bearing Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73 FLH Rear Wheel Bearing Rebuild

I'm rebuilding / replacing the internals on my 73 FLH dual flange rear wheel. Am I to completely fill the center hub area between the inner spacer and hub spool with wheel grease, since there's no zerk ftg on these hubs ? I realize I'll have to pack the new tapered bearings with grease, but wasn't sure about the whole center hub. Thanks for ANY help, Twister the Fitter

No it's not necessary as the axle spacer has flanges on each end that prohibit packing the hub.

Comment

PLEASE forgive my ignorance / lack of knowledge, but what keeps the grease packed into the bearing and race ? ( on the back / inner side ) ? There's about an 1/8" gap between the outer flange of my inner spacer and the I.D. of my hub with the bearings and races installed. Am I "literally" missing something, say with the I.D. of my hub or O.D. of the spacer flanges ? I can foresee the grease getting hot and oozing into the center of hub spool, there's nothing there to stop it. ????? Tim

Comment

What keeps the grease in the bearing is suction. Maybe a little excess will get away from the bearing but as the bearing roller rolls it pushes the grease in front of it and then sucks it back in behind. Bearing do not 'unpack' themselves unless something is seriously wrong and they get very hot.

Jerry

Originally posted by Twister the fitter View Post
        PLEASE forgive my ignorance / lack of knowledge, but what keeps the grease packed into the bearing and race ? ( on the back / inner side ) ? There's about an 1/8" gap between the outer flange of my inner spacer and the I.D. of my hub with the bearings and races installed. Am I "literally" missing something, say with the I.D. of my hub or O.D. of the spacer flanges ? I can foresee the grease getting hot and oozing into the center of hub spool, there's nothing there to stop it. ????? Tim

Comment

Thanks for that info Jerry and explaining it in a way that I can mechanically understand !!! See, now that makes sense to me, Thank You very much, my mind is at ease ! Tim

Comment

Working...
          X