Mystery 36 Spoke Wheels Found with (1916-1923) Harley J Fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery 36 Spoke Wheels Found with (1916-1923) Harley J Fork

I recently picked up a (1916-1923) Harley J fork. It was in rough shape and was found with one 36 spoke wheel attached and located right next to another 36 spoke wheel similar to the first. I understand the correct wheel would have 40 spokes so I know they are not correct. I've reached out to a few people and a couple have suggested possible Indian or pre-1914 Harley. I'm hoping someone in this forum might be able to identify them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Here are closeups of the second wheel:

Wheel 2-1.jpg

Wheel 2-2.jpg

Wheel 2-3.jpg

Comment

The wheel with the J fork attached looks like a drop center rim, or raised center (so I wonder if it's a clincher rim). I don't know of any American motorcycles that used such a rim in the early days; so I wonder if the wheel assy. is British. The second wheel looks to have an unusually wide hub, like something from a sidecar, or a utility purpose. The width of the rims can also help to age them.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks, Eric. I should have access to everything this weekend. I'll take some measurements and post them. Hopefully that will help.

Comment

per 1918 indian wheels I through they were 40 spoke too

Comment

Working...
          X