Brake lining adhesive vs. rivets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lining adhesive vs. rivets

I’m putting new lining on my 28 JD. Has anyone had experience using an adhesive instead of the brass rivets? Thanks!

I've had linings bonded and riveted, no problems with either if done right. For the External strap brakes though, it looks better if riveted as was original.

Comment

Thanks! What did you use as a bonding agent?

Comment

I don't know, I had them bonded at a brake shop. They use some ind of glue, heat and a clamp to hold it all in place under pressure, baked for a while.

Comment

I rivet and bond. The best glue I've found so far is a product called Pliobond. Got it from my local Ace hardware. I first used it to glue the friction band on my Atlas lathe. That was 20yrs ago and it's worked since. Also great for floorboard pads.

Comment

Thank you . . . I will try that!

Comment

I've been a great fan of Pliobond, Folks!

Its fuel reisistance has been remarkable.

But it is pliable. Think about that,.. in an emergency stop.

I will agree that using a solid, heat-transfering bond, even with rivets, should be an advantage, but it won't be anything rubbery. Rubber insulates and burns.

Let us all hope we shall actually put our repairs to a good 'try', soon.

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-11-2020, 12:49 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

There are several grades of pliobond. Hardware store is usually pliobond 35. It works fine for typical, dense linings and clean shoes.

Pliobond45 is a bit better for a lining adhesive. Higher temperature and stronger bond. It used to be available otc from aircraft supply, but I have not bought any in more than 10 years. I went from sintered sheets to woven linings and feel better riveting the woven material.

Don't get caught up on strength. Check out the sheer strength of brass 4/4 tubular rivets and you'll find it is similar to either pliobond.

Keep in mind our colleagues in the old car world have been tackling this question on band brakes for decades. Stopping a t takes a bit more oomph than a JD.

Comment

Let us all hope we shall actually put our repairs to a good 'try', soon.

....Cotten[/QUOTE]

?

Comment

Let me put it this way, Scooterwrench!

I hope we all stay healthy.

...Cotten
                    PS: Lots and lots of repairs are declared successful because they are never really punished.
                    (The Cannonball serves us well for that, if nothing else!)
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-12-2020, 01:22 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Yeah,I'm with you on that. They're droppin' like flies out there.

OK! You are quick to offer your opinion on what doesn't work,what is your opinion on what would work?

That was what the man was asking.

Comment

I prefer a riveter, Scooterwrench!

https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...hlight=riveter

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                        X