Shovelhead spark plug inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shovelhead spark plug inserts

I removed the heads from my 1966 FL Police Special to replace the buggered thread inserts. I removed the top portion with an easy out but a few threads remained. A previous owner installed long reach inserts. I was able to get the bottom portion out. It appeared that a pin was holding the bottom of the insert. I gave it a tap with a punch and it came out easily but left a hole about 1/4'' deep and 1/16'' wide at the bottom the hole a couple of threads above the combustion chamber I'm going to have to run a long insert again to cover this hole to prevent a hot spot. I'm running 8:1 pistons so I have a bit more room and thought I would run a medium reach plug to get closer to the combustion chamber. I use J12YC plugs that work great in an old Shovel does anyone run a good medium reach plug in a shovel that doesn't foul easily? or has anyone had to deal with this with a better idea. I'm going to try and attach a couple of pix
    Thanks
    Pete
    Attached Files

Long reach thread inserts in 66 Heads? Are you sure you have the correct heads?

Comment

yes they are early short reach heads but I had to use a long insert to cover the hole at the bottom a previous owner drilled in the head to install a pin to hold his spark plug inserts in. I installed long reach but cut the bottom portion flush with the combustion chamber to cover the hole

Comment

Working...
      X