1937 ULH Final timing after leak down test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 ULH Final timing after leak down test

OK so after fine tuning my home made leak down tester, I put 150 psi in each cylinder, which slowly leaked down until about 90, then held. I thought that was pretty good. I turned the engine over until compression started in the front cylinder. Tapped the kicker over until the mark came up in the timing hole, not straight up, but almost. The small cam of the timer was almost ready to start opening the points. With a little coaxing, and the ignition on, I turned the advance and the plugs fired. The pictures show before I turn the timer. Anything wrong here, before I take her down off the lift to start kicking?Click image for larger version.

20200402_201801.jpg20200402_201736.jpg
    Last edited by shinedogg; 04-03-2020, 08:18 PM. Reason: add picture
    Steve

The timing Mark is in the right spot. Now with the timing fully advanced the points should just open. Rig a test light up across your points to see if you have it right. You don’t say which way you turned the timer but the picture looks like it’s in the advanced position.

Comment

Appears to be in the retard position from the pic...should be in full advance to set timing (point at which point just begin to open).

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander View Post
        Appears to be in the retard position from the pic...should be in full advance to set timing (point at which point just begin to open).
        As he states in his first post, the picture is "before" he advanced the timer.

And if all is as he originally stated it should start and run.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
        X