42 WLA GEN/OIL Dash lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 WLA GEN/OIL Dash lights

I have a 42 HD WLA that was rebuilt years ago and switched to 12v. Everything except the dash lights operate properly. There are no connections to the light sockets on either side. I have looked at wiring diagrams, but really have no clue. What do I need (oil pressure switch/wires/etc) and what do I need to do? Thank you for all the assistance.

Erik Young

The wiring and the oil pressure switch don't care what voltage the lights are so they are easy. The generator light may or may not work depending on the regulator/generator combo you have. The oil pressure switch works as a ground, so the bulb is hot all the time and the pressure makes and breaks the circuit. The gen light works similary but without knowing what your system is it is impossible to tell you if it will work.

The socket for the bulb is isolated by fiber washers, the brass tang is hot, the base flange is connected to the pressure switch.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie,

I greatly appreciate the reply. The bike was rebuilt with a lot of repo and non-standard parts, so it wouldn't be blasphemy to use this (https://www.45restoration.com/Produc...71151-48.aspx) type of assembly. It does have an original baseplate. I understand the oil pressure switch breaks the neg on one side. Would the wire from the relay that goes into the dash possibly act as the neg on the generator side. The diagram for the old baseplate shows a connection between the two sockets, is that for the dimmer switch???? I apologize for the stupid questions but wiring is certainly not my strong suit. Thanks,

Erik

Comment

Actually I believe that is a light for the dash itself not the indicator lights. The diagram appears that the negative side is on the bottom (towards the back tire) where do you get the positive from a jumper off the bottom of the switch? Again thanks for any help.

Erik

Comment

Sorry another question, on the light socket switch is the negative on the bottom or the top. Thanks again,
          Erik

Comment

Hey, what I did was find myself an original base plate for the dash. Nothing is going to sit right without a real one. Then I bought the full rebuild kit from Colony, gives you all the bits and tabs and washers needed to rebuild the dash. I also sourced a new wiring harness from Debbie Palmer. Overall it was not a bad project. A factory parts manual has an excellent exploded view of the entire dash base, if you don't have one, also a good thing to source. Wiring took some time and research, but it was not a bad project and it fixed some other electrical gremlins. My wiring harness was a mess of the original and lots of modern wires all spliced in. It was never going to work with all of the aftermarket parts like dash base, ignition switch and dash cover. it was always off. Those 1/16" seem to add up fast. Good luck.

PS my generator light works perfectly, but after 3 oil pressure sending units, 2 repop and 1 OEM, all I can get is either it is always on or always off. I went for always off. One day.

Comment

Here are pics of my Gen and relay setup.... 20200404_134819.jpg

Comment

20200404_134808.jpg. Additional photo

Comment

20200404_134500.jpganother

Comment

20200404_134434.jpgLast one

Comment

One these voltage regulators would greatly improve the overall look of your bike:

http://www.flatlandmotorcyclecompany...-Prodview.html

Bolt it to the stock location, and wire in like stock. No guarantee it will work any better, but at least it makes following factory wiring diagrams easier. Good luck.

Comment

Hello All,

I have determined the switch connections for the positive sides of both lights and the oil pressure sensor negative connection. I do not know where to connect to the generator negative lead. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Erik

Comment

Hi Eric,
                          Does the generator and oil lights come on when you turn to the first click on your ignition switch?

Comment

Working...
                          X