Hub question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub question

While in the process of getting my hubs ready for paint I noticed one is slightly wider then the other by about 1/16 inch. See pictures. They are likely different year hubs and also one of them the edge of the spoke flange is flat and the other has a slight angle away from the center. So, is the 1/16 inch difference in width something I need to be concerned about?
    Attached Files

No, it isn't an issue, merely a slightly wider spoke flange on one hub. That just means if your rim is perfectly trued to the hub one can possibly sit .030 off center, but since the extra material is likely outboard of the spoke drillings than that won't even occur.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      No, it isn't an issue, merely a slightly wider spoke flange on one hub. That just means if your rim is perfectly trued to the hub one can possibly sit .030 off center, but since the extra material is likely outboard of the spoke drillings than that won't even occur.
      Your reply got me thinking so just went out to the garage and did some more checking. The inner part of the hub is the same width on both hubs and on the brake side the distance from the top of the spoke flange to the end of the inner hub is the same on both hubs. The difference comes in on the star side of the hubs but its not because there is extra material outboard of the poke holes but because the star side of the spoke flange is spot welded slightly farther apart on the one hub. The bottom line though is that once the rims are trued to the brake side both wheels will track just fine. Thank you for your reply, I was getting concerned I would need to find another hub.

Comment

Working...
      X