Shifter/trans adjustment, difficulty getting into third gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter/trans adjustment, difficulty getting into third gear

On my '48 Chief, shifting into 1st, neutral, and 2nd is great. But when I shift to 3rd, sometimes it doesn't go into gear. I engage the clutch and find it's in neutral when it should be in 3rd. Then I have to disengage the clutch, put it in 2nd, and try to reengage 3rd, pushing pretty hard. I can always get it in eventually, but not as easy as 2nd or 1st. Before I start messing with the detent ball adjustment, could it be that, or is it likely something else? Thanks.

The first thing I think I would do is disconnect the shift linkage at the bellcrank.Shift trans to third ,loosen detent if necessary,then see how linkage lines up.
    The detent notches are the same so there should be no difference in any gear caused by the detent.
    If thats good then pull the tower for a look.
    Tom

Comment

Does it go into 3rd ok with engine not running just bumping it through gears? Sometimes the tendency can be eliminated by the quickness/authority in which you shift. Try shifting faster or allow a slight delay once you come out of 2nd before going into 3rd just to see if it makes any difference. Infrequently mine will do the exact same thing but its usually when I'm riding two-up so I blame it on operator error because I'm so far up the seat. I instinctively hold pressure on the shifter towards 3rd for 2-3 seconds or until until I feel it pop in. Normally it goes right in but sometimes it takes an extra couple seconds.

May not be the detent but no harm in trying - Just mark its current location and try backing off 1/4 turn or so. Too loose and it will pop out of gear under load/acceleration.
      Jason Zerbini
      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
        Does it go into 3rd ok with engine not running just bumping it through gears?
        It doesn't. While not running, I can't get it into third gear. And the shift linkage isn't the problem. If I push the shifter back a bit harder I can see the rod deflect, telling me the linkage isn't limiting anything.

Comment

That happened (once again) on my '40 Chief. I thought it was in the detent as well and that is what I fretted over. But as it turned out, the transmission case had been welded on and the shift fork/bellcrank was hitting a weld glob. I'm not saying that is your problem, but that's what made my trans shift hard into 3rd. Hope you have an easy fix.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

The bellcrank on the shift tower has a woodruff key in it, so you can check to see if the key is still tight or if it’s loose and preventing full throw.
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I disconnected the shifter rod from the bell crank and then removed the nut and washers at the end of that shaft. I tried to tap the back of the lever from the other side to remove it and inspect the key, but it’s on tight and I didn’t want to beat on it too hard. Should I use a puller to get the bell crank off or is there another way?

Comment

If the lever and shaft are tight together I dont think a loose key is the problem.
                If the lever wont shift into third,while turning the rear wheel slowly with the detent loosened,I would pull the tower.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
                  If the lever wont shift into third, while turning the rear wheel slowly with the detent loosened,I would pull the tower.
                  If it's stationary, sometimes it'll go into third, usually it won't. If I put it in neutral and roll it slowly, it usually goes into third if I push it hard. Sometimes it goes from second to some intermediate position and then goes into third if I push the shifter harder, or put it back into second and try again. When it goes into third, the clunk is louder than going into first or second.

As I mentioned before, when I'm riding, first/neutral/second are really easy. I can always get it into third eventually, but it takes either more effort than the other gears, or I have to go back to second and try again.

Maybe I'm just not used to bikes this old, but does that behavior seem normal?
                  Last edited by Lipdog; 03-29-2020, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipdog View Post
                    Maybe I'm just not used to bikes this old, but does that behavior seem normal?
                    From what you describe it does seem your problem is not normal and there may be an issue in the transmission preventing smooth transition into 3rd; however, these old bikes can have a personality their own. When I got my bike I was often wondering if certain things and sounds were normal. I know you're probably getting tired working on it so if you can minimize the issue with technique to the point its not frustrating you or causing a safety issue, I'd just ride it for awhile and see how it goes and if any other issues arise that might need addressed. We all have different levels of tolerance for things like this.

As Tom said if it won't go right in with engine off rocking bike back and forth definitely and pull the top and have a look.
                    Jason Zerbini
                    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I'm gonna get a few more rides in and then I have some other work to do on the bike that will take it off the road for a couple of weeks (fit my new Iron Horse tanks and have them painted). I'll pull the tower at that time and see what I see. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X